Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OS/8 programming overview?

Ah. The more you know...
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

This is a good site with links to many other sites. http://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~jones/pdp8/

Yes, that's a great resource - nicest coverage of the basic architecture/instruction set I've yet found (though it doesn't cover the extended math instructions.) Though, again, lots on the architecture and not so much on the OS environment, but I suppose with a system where often enough things were just run on the bare metal that's hardly surprising.

Now, though, having skimmed through the OS/8 Software Support Manual a bit, I'm both enlightened and a little more confused - it looks like there are system calls to open and close files, but not to read from or write to them!?

(BTW, if anyone is interested in that XWindows panel-interface 8/e emulator he hosts a copy of, I got the source tweaked to build and run on modern Linux. What was with C programmers declaring absolutely everything untyped static in the '80s-'90s? This is like the third old program I've tried to build recently where the compiler chokes on that.)
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup