Image Map Image Map

Thread: FS: XT-IDE #500, Another Mil-Spec Build with Slot 8 Support and 8 GB DOM

Default FS: XT-IDE #500, Another Mil-Spec Build with Slot 8 Support and 8 GB DOM

link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273482407024

Above is the listing for the 500th XT-IDE board, not counting prototypes! This is the 500th board out of the production runs of both the rev 3 and rev 4 boards. I've had this half-completed on my workbench for a while and finally got around to finishing and listing it -- I actually just shipped board #700 today! Time sure does fly!

Anyway, I figured I'd build up #500 as as special "mil-spec" build, as I'd done once before. I casually collect mil-spec ICs and parts, so every now and then I build up a regular board as a "mil-spec" board, mostly just because I like doing it. Since the last "mil-spec" XT-IDE went over well, I figured #500 was a good opportunity to make another available.

And, a special note to everyone who's bought an XT-IDE board or helped debug them or anything, whether it's mine or someone else's: thank you for supporting the hobby, open source hardware, and those of us trying to do neat things! Doing this would not be possible without community support! I didn't start the XT-IDE project but I'm happy and honored to carry on the original, open source design as a still free-as-in-freedom community design.

Blog Entries

Glitch, isn't it true that many SSI mil-spec ICs are standard commercial ones that have been derated? It's always seemed that there's not a lot of practical difference between an SN5400 and SN7400.

It's not mil-spec unless the bracket is olive drab cad plated

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Glitch, isn't it true that many SSI mil-spec ICs are standard commercial ones that have been derated? It's always seemed that there's not a lot of practical difference between an SN5400 and SN7400.
    It's my understanding that unless it's rad-hardened, it's probably just graded really high. And usually packaged in ceramic sandwich, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    It's not mil-spec unless the bracket is olive drab cad plated
    Hah! Probably have to strip the chrome first

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    It's my understanding that unless it's rad-hardened, it's probably just graded really high. And usually packaged in ceramic sandwich, of course.
    Heh, that ceramic thing back in the early days turned out to be a liability. Some of the ceramics that were in use were alpha-emitters. They couldn't figure out why the DRAMs would drop bits...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Heh, that ceramic thing back in the early days turned out to be a liability. Some of the ceramics that were in use were alpha-emitters. They couldn't figure out why the DRAMs would drop bits...
    Interesting! I'll have to get out the thin window G-M tube and see if I've got any that are!