Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are expensive PC cases worth it?

Blog Entries

Default Are expensive PC cases worth it?

While browsing the web I read that Caselabs the custom PC case maker has gone out of business blaming the rise in price of steel and other issues. Looking at their products it seems they were pretty expensive with a mini itx being $200 bare and towers going to $800 without all the little add-ons.

I have some cases that were $150 or so new (not what I paid) that I like, but they seem kind of pricey to me. I know people say that the expensive cases will last forever but to be honest so do the cheap ones. Styles and internal needs change so you will outgrow any case you have sooner or later. I do like the better cooling and cable management of some of the newer cases compared to stuff out ten years ago. I still remember buying top end Enlight cases at computer shows for $50 NIB.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Caselabs went out of business do to a shortage of raw supplys and buyers pulling out and filing charge backs.
    This is what happens with a made to order business model is used.

As for expensive cases. I say yes they are worth it, with the right system inside. they are better built, made of thicker steel/aluminum, less plastic and a better design making them easier to work with and tend to be better for cooling.
    I had many cheap and expensive cases. Cheap cases do tend get damaged easier but they also tend to last just as long if you take car of them.
    My biggest problem with chap cases is the plastic tend to be brittle, they metal is think and can be flimsy and the fit and finish is not as nice.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Maybe in applied industrial or other rugged settings. For home or office use IMO there is no business case (pun intended) for such specialized items.

I don't know about spending *that* much, but I do pretty much only buy Lian Li cases anymore, if I'm doing a completely from scratch build on something. I haven't bought one for myself in a long time as I just keep reusing the few I bought years ago -- they hold up well!

I also like that they tend to be really low-feature cases. No flash or "features" I'll never use.

Blog Entries

A few years back when I built my then cutting edge Z170 gamer, I bought a mid-tower Corsair Vengence C70 gaming case in military green. Most beautiful that you've ever seen, no - most practical, maybe yes. This case is 99.44% thick metal, you won't slice a finger on it. It's somewhat heavy and has handles on the side much like a military case of some sort. This same case is still in production and currently sells for $159.00. I bought it on sale back then for $99.00. I liked it so well that I bought another in black for the same price. I understand that aesthetics are equally important as is functionality to some builders, but not so much for me. This case may not win many beauty pageants, but is hard to beat in terms of overall construction quality and usable space. Also, you don't need a screwdriver to pop the covers which is plus for me as I'm always tinkering.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Because my towers have been on the floor under the table for over a decade, I can't really see them, so I've standardized on "most features at a reasonable price". The fit and finish of plastic cases isn't something you'd want to put on exhibition, but they do the job.

My last case purchase for an i7-8700k GTX SLI build included a neat SATA dock built right into the top of the case, so I can slide a drive in without opening anything. Great for local backups. Case was $100.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Are expensive PC cases worth it?
    Yes, to a point. There is a massive quality difference between a $37 case and a $137 case. The plastic is better, the metal is usually thicker and smoothed over (so no split knuckles) and they tend to go together easier and usually have much better airflow design. But the difference between a $137 and $537 is case is minimal, and it would more or less come down to styling and premium features (eg glass instead of perspex).

That all said, I've built machines in a sub $30 cases that looked all right, and since I knew the owner would almost never open the case or work in it, the lack of internal quality was neither here nor there. So my advice is use what works.

My main rig at home is in a RaidMAX Alpha Prime definitely not a "premium case" but for the $75 I paid for it I think it's quite nice.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I don't know about spending *that* much, but I do pretty much only buy Lian Li cases anymore, if I'm doing a completely from scratch build on something...
    The only Lian Li products I have are a few sets of their mobile drive racks. These allow you to easily slide hard drives in and out of their bays from the front, without screws or wiring concerns to slow you down so you can immediately switch any HD you want. A really excellent product.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Hmmm. You know, there are a lot of perfectly good 90s cases at the recyclers. Good heavy steel, maybe not black, but otherwise fine for an ATX case. To my right I see an HP Vectra VL400 Desktop case with a socket AM3+ board installed in it. Looks fine, very sturdy. Finding good horizontal desktop cases is not as easy as it once was.

Blog Entries

I love a few 2000 era Inwin Q500 full towers I have, but the airflow sucks for modern systems (gaming video cards). They do have 5 5.25" external bays which modern cases do not have because of cooling fans (and the lack of current build needs). Those Inwins are solid and will outlast me.

I have cases I purchased new over 20 years ago still in use.

Having a top open 3.5" SATA dock is useful but that fad seems to have died. I have an Inwin GT1 that has the dock.

inwin gt1.jpg
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems