Image Map Image Map
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: What are the top 10 rarest vintage computer bits you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Once I understood how the NC4000 chip worked, I made a couple high level instructions with the low level code. Having 8 bit I/O, I needed a handy way to swap 8 bit values. I had a register at address -1, since that was an easy literal. It'd swap the 2 bytes. All done in two clock cycles. I thought that was an easy way to get bytes. The processor was so fast I had to put delays in to keep the floppy controller happy. It didn't have a chance to respond with the status otherwise. Using the hard drive, I could meta compile the entire Forth in less then 10 seconds. Not all that fast by todays standards but when one considers it was a 16 bit processor in 4K gates.
    Dwight
    I've only read about it in Philip Coopman's book and remember that they used to advertise as 4 and 5 MIPs machines long before the 386 ever came out and the 286 was gasping to break 1 MIPS. It is a shame innovative architectures rarely take off.

Occasionally Harris RTX (son of Novix) boards do show up in eBay, but they don't hold the same mystique.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    How about rare items that you've had a part in developing?

I've got all sorts of rare tidbits; a 1401 core frame, a few "cordwood" modules from a CDC 6600, etc. But the Durango F85 is special to me, as the the Poppy (which I have been fruitlessly looking for for at least 20 years). Narrowly missed one being junked in Australia a few years ago...
    What Chuck was a Poppy and if one was here in Australia could there be another ?

I don't keep anything around if it's both rare and worth a lot of money. I'd keep Voodoo5's around if they were as valuable as a RIVA TNT2. The money I make off a Voodoo card can go towards something useful, like expensive modern PC parts. Old computers are toys to me, but a Voodoo5 is cool looking nevertheless. I'm not a serious gamer. I don't mind low end cards like an Intel i740 or a TNT2 m64, they work well for the era of old games I tend to play.

I don't know if it's as rare as I've heard, but I have an Apple IIc Flat Panel Display in the original box. The box is pretty faded, but the display is nearly perfect. It was $15.00 at a second hand store in the 90's. I guess a deal like that is kind of rare.

I'd like to change my list a little.

Quote Originally Posted by snuci View Post
    1. MCM/70
    2. CPU Systems CPU-8 (Fairchild F
    3. IBM 7690 Nursing station (PS/2 based)
    4. IMSAI 8048 Control Computer
    5. Bill-1 (8008 based)
    6. Processor Technology Sol-PC
    7. Zeus 80 (Z80 based)
    8. Elenco Agvision (Tandy Videotex)
    9. Tiger Learning Computer (Apple II based)
    10. Viatron System 21