Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the top 10 rarest vintage computer bits you own?

Some of these are in storage for obvious reasons, but I do visit them and bring them to computer festivals...
    1. Apple-1 in Original Byte Shop case with Datanetics Keyboard and original 1976 VM4209 monitor.
    2. Apple II rev-0 with ventless injection foam case
    3. Sol-20 w/Helios II
    4. Scelbi 8H board set with orig docs (boards are installed in my replica chassis with replica ram boards instead of half dead single original ram board)
    5. Altair Rev-0 with 8080 (not 8080A) and Cromemco dazzler.
    6. (Two) TI Silent 733 ASR with tape drives, I actually have a TI silent fetish and own a lot of different models.
    7. HP 35 - Red Dot Calculator (sort of a computer like object), I collect HP calculators but I think this is the rarest one.
    8. Mac 128k, ok not that rare these days as they seem to be like tribbles and keep multiplying.
    9. Apple Lisa 2/10, would love to find a Lisa-1 but not willing to spend the cost of a new BMW.
    10. (Two) Pennywhistle modems

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, I tend not to sell things when I find something rare or really cool...

Cheers,
    Corey
    Last edited by Corey986; October 2nd, 2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: slight correct, Scelbi 8H not B

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNC View Post
    Once I finish my basement conversion to a retro computing office / personal museum I am going to buy lots of Philips/Magnavox. Until that time I am space constrained. My office is bad enough as it is and spilling over into the dining room. Not a good place to be in with the Mrs.
    I wish my Gateway Pentium III box was as nice as yours! Mine had a hard life and even after a lot of cleaning still doesn't look the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey986 View Post
    6. (Two) TI Silent 733 ASR with tape drives, I actually have a TI silent fetish and own a lot of different models.
    I'm with you on this. They are great little terminals. Have a couple of 703's, 745's and I've just managed to pick up a 707/1200

What's the history behind the Scelbi 8b board set?

Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Moonferret View Post
    What's the history behind the Scelbi 8b board set?
    Had to make a slight correct, Scelbi 8H, not B. Had a brain fart.

As to how I found it....
    Well someone saw one of my TV appearances and emailed me if I was interested in a Scelbi board set. It wasn't cheap. This was one of the sets that didn't have a backplane, just the boards. So I checked the boards for shorts, and inserted them into my replica chassis. Everything worked after I adjusted the clocks except the included single ram board which has a bunch of ceramic 1101 chips which are bad. Worse they are soldered into the board. I decided until I can find enough ceramic 1101 that match, I'm not going to touch it. Plus it's only 1k, you can't really do much with 1k, my monitor program is 256 bytes so doesn't leave much for programs, plus I have one of my replica ram boards hooked up with a 1702 on a switch makes booting the 8H easy so I don't have to spend 20 minutes toggling to do anything.

Cheers,
    Corey

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    1. Modula Research Corp. Lilith
    6. Apollo DN420
    I used to be the sysadmin and power user on a small network of DN420s at LSI Logic. The memories! Argh! I'm actually glad I never succumbed to the temptation to bring my work home with me in that case! We had DN420 Serial number 00013. It was a Mentor Graphics Idea Station.

Well, I don't have 10 super rare items, but maybe 2 or three notables.

1. IBM 3270 AT/GX - These are rare enough, but it also has a NS32016 Opus card that boots SYSV Unix and runs Valid GED. This may be the last Opus card that still has its CAD software.
    2. Ohio Scientific C2-OEM - Just big, dumb and ugly, but a fun experiment. I ported the Basic Adventure game to it (Colossal Cave). I wrote a printer driver in 6502 Assembly code.
    3. Signetics Instructor 50 - Yet another SBC touting the capabilities of a CPU that went nowhere fast.
    4. SYM-1 6502 SBC - probably not so rare, but it also has the KTM2-80 SBC keyboard/monitor in a homebrew case.

Apple Interactive Television Box, but with an actual video card installed in the option slot. Most likely a development system but I could never get a signal out of the card though (but the machine otherwise works).

MacIvory 3, in a IIci.

BeBox/133.

Oddball HP 425t workstation, already an odd duck to begin with, but this one has a PA-RISC upgrade (and doesn't run Domain/OS, though the keyboard port is still there, connected to nothing).

Alpha Micro E450.

Commodore TV Games systems (both the 2000K and 3000H).

Commodore 1551 and 1570 disk drives.

Canon Cat.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    Canon Cat.
    Nice, Jeff Raskin's original idea for the Macintosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I've mentioned it before, but the rarest thing I have is the Bank Street Music Writer board, a PC version of the Mockingboard that was only bundled with Bank Street Music Writer.
    Do you have pics of it anywhere of the front and back? I'd be interested in seeing them. I have the Apple II Mockingboard that came in the Bank Street Music Writer package but I am guessing that's fairly common.

[QUOTE=ClassicHasClass;537395

Canon Cat.[/QUOTE]

I have Canon Cat and one of the original development Cats with wood case and two drives. I have source code for version 2.40 and have modified my Cat to be able to meta compile compile it ( don't have source for the spell checker. That was confidential Canon ).