Image Map Image Map
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: REMEX Paper Tape reader

Well done though for getting the Remex and the modified RIM and BIN loaders working!

We all have 'off days' sometimes ...

Of course, I forgot, it's Thanksgiving over your side of the pond isn't it? Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave

Thanks Dave, Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Remember you don't need a holiday to partake in a good Turkey Dinner, my favorite. The 40 pin BERG connectors arrived today. They came as the plastic housings and a reel of pins. I was hoping that I could just solder my wires to the pins, but they have turned out to be too small. The solder builds up too much for proper insertion to the housing and sometimes the pin hole will fill with solder. So I have to look for a crimp tool. I think I have found a Pololu tool that should do the job. Just have to order one. My plan is to make the BERG connection to the M863 board and then run the wires back to a DB25 connector at the back of the PDP8. Between the power supply and the box cover, on the back of the PDP8 case, there is an adjustable ribbon cable access slot. I decided to mount the DB25 connector into the adjustable plate. That way this new cable, board or connector can be easily removed without bothering anything else. I also have to make a new cable that will connect between the new DB25 connector on the back of the PDP8 and the REMEX. Maybe by the end of the week, I'll be in business. Thanks Mike

Well… this project is just about finished. I completed making the new DEC cables for both serial ports and the REMEX. Had to wait for the headers/pins, wire and the crimper. Apparently the fire out in California delayed the shipments. I was concerned about if the crimper would work with these pins. I purchased the header and pins from Mouser. Pins are 649-47649-000LF and the header plastic is 640-65043-017LF. The crimper (Pololo SN-28B) seems to work, but I had to be careful with the pin. The first trouble was crimping two wires in one pin. The wire crimp was fine, but the insulation crimp area was too small for two insulated wires. I’m using 26 AWG stranded wire. The solution was to strip one of the wires insulation back so that only one wire insulation is crimped with the bare wire of the other over it. This also caused difficulty installing this pin into the header. But with a little push with a tool I made the pin would fit. I also found that if I crimped the pin upside down (putting the pin into the crimper with the open ends of pin into the fixed arm of the crimper) worked better. Yet I had to pre crimp the insulation a little. The ends were splayed a little wide, but I did finally get a routine down that worked. After a while I noticed that you also have to be careful not to damage the pin cage. If the pin is not placed in the crimper correctly, the crimper will crash the pin cage, I noticed if you watch the pin cage after you pre load the pin you can pull the pin out just enough to make a good crimp. After making a dozen or so I was getting pretty good. Each pin has to be pushed into the plastic header enough so that the header lever will latch over the pin and secure it in place. The double wire pin had to be pushed in and some of the single also. But after I became more proficient with making the crimps, most of the pins just snapped into place. You can watch (with magnification for me) the lever on the side of the header raise and drop in to place as the pin is inserted. If the pin is not latched in place it will pop out when the header is installed on the board.
    IMG_0043.jpg
    I made a bracket to replace the original DEC ribbon cable clamp at the back of the PDP8E. Here I mounted three DB25 connectors.
    IMG_0046.jpgIMG_0042.jpg
    I year or so ago Jack gave me a DEC 19” cabinet. This cabinet only had one side. I made a new side and mounted it. I then noticed that there are no heat vents at the top of the cabinet. There are holes in the base, but nothing that would allow air to flow thru from bottom to top. How did these cabinets vent heat?

I have done a lot of testing and have found my new Device Handler to work with all the tests I made. I have to make all my paper tapes on the ASR33, and they all work on the REMEX reader. There is still one problem left that needs to be addressed. My Device Handler does not turn off the REMEX drive signal after a read, making is necessary to reset the PDP8E . Other wise I can not rewind the paper tape. I’ll have to add something to the Device Handler.

I had a lot of fun getting this to work and I want to thank everyone that helped me out. Mike

Oh, by the way, I believe I found the reason why this Instruction MainDec was once in a while reporting a NOP failure. Seems that one of my front panel switches would not make up when it is flipped up. The NOP test reads the Front Panel switches (they all have to be up) and then CMA's them if the result is not zero, a failure occurs. I'll just have to be careful to make sure all the switches are truly in the up position. Thanks Mike

Nice job (as usual)!

Always a pleasure to help out with your projects - they certainly test out the brain!

As the driver can detect a timeout and return an end of file, you should be able to put the REMEX in STOP at that point.

I look forward to the next project .

Dave