Image Map Image Map
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: REMEX Paper Tape reader

I mis read PGCHLP as PTRGCH. I see what you mean. Mike

Well, I'll damned (again). You nailed it. Adding the CLA at PGCHLP corrected the problem, at least with my current test tape. Give that man a GOLD STAR! I want to do some more testing with other programs etal. And maybe try to clean up the code a little more. The tape does not stop, I'd like to add a stop tape at the end.

I wonder how many hidden bugs are in current software that is being used on modern machines. When I was working at the power plant, we would take great strides to test every control path for all equipment. Then when DCS and SCADA control came along, this became nearly impossible. Again I appreciate your help. Mike

Sounds like a plan.

Just come back from my evening walk and was thinking about why the line of A's etc. worked?

That is what makes bug hunting good fun and entertaining (well, it does for me at least).

Dave

Dave, each morning I spend a hour or so doing the daily puzzles of the morning newspaper. I have always enjoyed a good puzzle, maybe that is why we do what we do.

I did a bunch of tests with PIP and EDIT, using different paper tapes and they all seemed to work. These were all ASCII files on the paper tape. In fact, EDIT paused for a slight time, stopping the REMEX. Most likely to do something with the buffer? The inputted file was read perfectly. The start/stop of the tape was a good move. Next I began thinking about how to use binary files. For example, I have a large collection of MAINDEC files. The way I currently use the MAINDEC, is that they are on my IBM XT. Then I load them via MSDOS copy through the TTY port and binary loader LBAA. I suppose that I could continue with the same procedure to load from the REMEX. I was reading about the Absolute Loader, which says it can load BN files to any address. The BN MAINDEC files are in the binary loader format, meaning that the start address is the first data after the leader has expired. Will the Absolute Loader recognize this? I'm thinking that it will not. Is there a method to load a MAINDEC file from the REMEX without having to go through the RIM LOADER and the BIN LOADER?

I'm also re organizing my 19" rack to make space to the REMEX. I also have to make better cable connections, so that once the REMEX is in the rack I can use it. Thanks
    Mike

Mike,

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly last night! I had to rush out to our Church house group. I didn't read that we had actually fixed the problem!

The old bugs are the best ! I'll take the gold star though!

Can you remind me how you boot your 8 at the moment?

I assume you hand toggle the RIM loader in to load from the console, then load the BIN loader from your PC via the console port followed by your program (e.g. the selected MAINDEC).

If the above is true, I would be inclined to make a new RIM loader for your REMEX that you toggle in. You then want to make a new BIN loader for your REMEX.

Now, the clever bit...

You need to combine the code for the RIM and BIN loader so that the RIM loader pulls in the BIN loader and autoexecutes it. The BIN loader would then pull in your binary program.

I would combine your BIN loader and the MAINDEC on the same paper tape.

The way you would operate the system would be to hand toggle in your modified RIM loader. Put the tape containing your modified BIN loader followed by your MAINDEC program into the REMEX and start your RIM loader.

The RIM loader would pull in your modified BIN loader and execute it. This would pull in your program following the BIN loader into memory and halt. You can then execute your program.

Now you have the beast running as you want, yep, make a good job of the cables etc.

Dave
    Last edited by daver2; Yesterday at 01:01 PM.

To boot to OS/8, I hand key in the Serial Disk RIM and run. I suppose that I could make a REMEX RIM Loader. I'm in the middle of tearing apart the 19" rack. The rack is a Hodge Podge of stuff, so it's not an unbolt and re-bolt, but I'll have it done in another day or two. I actually thought about combining the RIM and MAINDEC programs. In fact I made a paper tape with the two programs on it, when I was testing the REMEX as a stand alone device (sans Device Handler). Yet I still have a question as to how a BN file that may be on disk, is loaded into core, at the appropriate address? Mike