Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Computer case without any front bays? O_O wow... (Point of interest)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    You need cooling and no noise. Most gamer cases have the top open for a long water cooling radiator and very low RPM fans blowing up.

The playboy pics were low rez GIFs I think (bitmaps)? Those were the reason that BBS got taken down not the warez.
    It seems as if a cross-flow fan would be quiet enough. Just thinking about big industrial equipment and their cooling requirements.

Just checked--the playboy bunny art I have is definitely printer art--complete with FORTRAN carriage control. Guess I like old bunnies, but don't tell my wife.

I have several old Dells with squirrel cage CPU fans.

The playboy pics were low rez GIFs I think (bitmaps)? Those were the reason that BBS got taken down not the warez.
    They would've had to be GIFs or PCX back then. But given their reputation they probably weren't low-res.

Blog Entries

Well I joined for the warez since it was a local call. That BBS and Fred Martins BBS (think he was related to a Ford Dealership owner). Funny I got a 14K modem back then and I was happy as hell, compared to 100Mb Cable these days.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

You can buy external DVD or BR drives. The cases with no front bays are targeted at new gamers who just buy games from Steam. Last few new games I purchased at the store had no media inside (50GB downloads).
    I haven't looked at a new PC game since the early 2010's, so not having a disk inside seems funny to me, and I also don't care much for external optical drives. Some computers are picky when it comes to some of them. (Such as my Kino 780AM2 ITX board) They also are not always too friendly when you want to change out the drive inside - some only would work with the manufacturer's chosen drives, and you have to worry about not losing the original drive cables! I like my optical drives inside my computers and it's not too much to ask to just swap them out if need be and it's far more convenient than having to carry around a portable drive if you have more than one PC.

I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to PC case design too.

1. I don't like tool-less designs. Olde-school screw-in designs tend to be much more sturdier.

2. I don't like fan filters. I think they reduce airflow a lot in a PC. Think pre-made "hole-punch style" PC case fan grills are bad? Well, you've got more to learn and it's no big deal using compressed air to clean out all the dust that will fluff onto your hardware components. I also hand-dust it or blow it out with my breath, works fine for me. You only cough for a short while...

3. I tolerate PC noise as long as it's not too loud. A quieter PC is always preferred, as even hard drive operating noise I find distracting. Funny memory of mine: When I built my first custom PC in 2011, it sounded so dead silent I HAD to put in louder fans just to remind me that's it's running! Silent PCs were foreign to me at the time. I was so used to PC noise that I really didn't notice it as much. I don't think I'm tone deaf or whatever.

4. Reset buttons are a must if the PC locks up. Holding down the power button to turn it off is unhealthy.

5. Desktops rule, laptops and tablets drool. I love my bulky whirring box, it's so much easier to work on, and replace and upgrade parts. With a laptop or tablet, it's always different fitting proprietary parts and limited or no expandability. What's a PC if it can't follow you as you yourself grow?

6. All PC cases need to be unpainted metal on the insides and have unpainted power supplies for proper static grounding. Screw threads don't cut it.

7. I used to love big honking full-tower cases, but they're far too much of a chore to lug around without busting something. Micro-ATX towers are my favorite, a perfect blend of physical size and good expandability. ITX cases are a bit too limited and mid towers are a tad to large to be convenient to carry around. Horizontal desktops are kinda cool cause you can place your monitor on top, but don't stack more than one or two desktops at once, unless if you need them to get the right height to see your monitor from where you're sitting. Oh, and of course, PC cases need to be sturdy enough and be any color other than black, which I find depressing to look at.

8. Side windows are definitely cool, and I would love to have them, but if only I could find one that is ESD safe. The typical plastic ones easily build up static on the other side where your internals are. Not good.

9. Front drives and ports are ALWAYS a nice thing to have. Really, who wants to reach all the way to the back of their PC to plug in a thumb drive?

10. No ultra-bright LEDS! My eyes!!! Can't sleep right..

That's all I can think of at the moment. I love brainstorming. I can talk about computers all day and night!
    Last edited by computerdude92; October 1st, 2018 at 12:49 AM.

You can buy external DVD or BR drives. The cases with no front bays are targeted at new gamers who just buy games from Steam. Last few new games I purchased at the store had no media inside (50GB downloads).
    I haven't looked at a new PC game since the early 2010's, so not having a disk inside seems funny to me, and I also don't care much for external optical drives. Some computers are picky when it comes to some of them. (Such as my Kino 780AM2 ITX board) They also are not always too friendly when you want to change out the drive inside - some only would work with the manufacturer's chosen drives, and you have to worry about not losing the original drive cables! I like my optical drives inside my computers and it's not too much to ask to just swap them out if need be and it's far more convenient than having to carry around a portable drive if you have more than one PC.

I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to PC case design too.

1. I don't like tool-less designs. Olde-school screw-in designs tend to be much more sturdier.

2. I don't like fan filters. I think they reduce airflow a lot in a PC. Think pre-made "hole-punch style" PC case fan grills are bad? Well, you've got more to learn and it's no big deal using compressed air to clean out all the dust that will fluff onto your hardware components. I also hand-dust it or blow it out with my breath, works fine for me. You only cough for a short while...

3. I tolerate PC noise as long as it's not too loud. A quieter PC is always preferred, as even hard drive operating noise I find distracting. Funny memory of mine: When I built my first custom PC in 2011, it sounded so dead silent I HAD to put in louder fans just to remind me that's it's running! Silent PCs were foreign to me at the time. I was so used to PC noise that I really didn't notice it as much. I don't think I'm tone deaf or whatever.

4. Reset buttons are a must if the PC locks up. Holding down the power button to turn it off is unhealthy.

5. Desktops rule, laptops and tablets drool. I love my bulky whirring box, it's so much easier to work on, and replace and upgrade parts. With a laptop or tablet, it's always different fitting proprietary parts and limited or no expandability. What's a PC if it can't follow you as you yourself grow?

6. All PC cases need to be unpainted metal on the insides and have unpainted power supplies for proper static grounding. Screw threads don't cut it.

7. I used to love big honking full-tower cases, but they're far too much of a chore to lug around without busting something. Micro-ATX towers are my favorite, a perfect blend of physical size and good expandability. ITX cases are a bit too limited, and mid towers are a tad to large to be convenient to carry around. Horizontal desktops are kinda cool cause you can place your monitor on top, but don't stack more than one or two desktops at once, unless if you need them to get the right height to see your monitor from where you're sitting. Oh, and of course, PC cases need to be sturdy enough and be any color other than black, which I find depressing to look at.

8. Side windows are definitely cool, and I would love to have them, but if only I could find one that is ESD safe. The typical plastic ones easily build up static on the other side where your internals are. Not good.

9. Front drives and ports are ALWAYS a nice thing to have. Really, who wants to reach all the way to the back of their PC to plug in a thumb drive?

10. No ultra-bright LEDS! My eyes!!! Can't sleep right..

That's all I can think of at the moment. I love brainstorming. I can talk about computers all day and night!
    Last edited by computerdude92; October 1st, 2018 at 12:57 AM.

Computing has changed. Younger people don't use optical media any more, and I don't think they use USB plug in storage much either.

I generally put an optical drive in my machines, but half of that is just that I've got lots of extra drives and I use big old boxes. Apart from initial installation and the occasional transfer from other people with little or no network skills, I hardly have use for USB either. Just give me a network connection and I'm good.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Computing has changed. Younger people don't use optical media any more, and I don't think they use USB plug in storage much either.
    Really? Then how do they make do if they don't use USB drives?.... Other than networking like you mentioned, or cloud storage, which isn't always the best idea when it comes to the hacking risk, snooping, and also if the server goes down, or if they decommission the cloud service and take all your data with them.

Younger people? I'm turning 26 this month but I act more like and share common interests with people in their 30's or 40's or beyond.

Funny, I got this case for my modern PC a couple of months ago. Some thoughts: Initially I was also worried about going cdrom-less, but I can tell you I haven't missed it. There was a single time during the last half year that I needed to get some files off a disc and I did it on another machine. Motherboards don't have floppy controllers anymore so floppy drive was already absent. It's much more annoying for me that those "small" midi cases only have a few (1 or max 2) places for 3.5" internal HDDs (plus 1 or 2 for 2.5").
    Eventually I think I like it. The look (OK maybe not this particular fancy case but in general cases without front bays) can be minimal and clean. Gamers/teenagers can have nice leds showing and precious space for their water cooling radiator at the level of the CPU, without squeezing it into weird places (this is important, many forget how big these things are and how many are using them). People like me can mount huge, super quiet and low rpm fans for complete silence with the air directly hitting the CPU/VGA/HDDs.
    Last edited by konc; October 1st, 2018 at 04:15 AM.

If I didn't have mounds and mounds of physical media, and I used no-cd cracks, then maybe I could let go of the optical drive. Younger generations may not be sharing my burden. It would be nice to have everything on multiple spare hard drives. Oh, yes.

Blog Entries

If someone is just getting into computing, optical storage may seem somewhat archaic. I have shoeboxes full of CD's which contain movies, photos, and audio, not to mention all of the my computer related stuff. So, I'll be using the optical drive from here on out. I also have a huge stash of HD's, some of which are crammed full of stuff, but for whatever reason, I don't fully trust them. Hence, my real important stuff is archived on CD's, and some of it finds its way to the safety deposit box.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting