Image Map Image Map

Thread: Old new 386 motherboard

Blog Entries

Default Old new 386 motherboard

I bought a Peak/DM 386 motherboard the other day with the understanding that it was removed from a Token Ring server. The seller says he is unable to get the mobo to boot because he thinks the ability to boot was through an ISA Token Ring card, which contain the necessary data. Looks like this may very well be my winter project.

I would dearly appreciate info from anyone having some knowledge on this sort of setup. The board in on its way and should be here before the end of the week.

As always, thanks in advance.

Tom
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I may have a few token ring parts for you. I inherited some hubs and stuff a few years ago and as you know, I don't thrown things out. (well, unless under extreme duress)
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

I've got a token ring cable if you need it.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Ole & Stone

Thanks for the offer. What I don't want to do is get involved with a Token Ring lash-up. I need to figure out how to modify the Peak BIOS so it boots without a TR card. I have a spare 386/40 AMI BIOS chip that I plan on slipping into the PEAK mobo, just to see if it will boot. If it does boot, then I'm going to need some help on getting the BIOS routines straightened out. Seems like this one is going to be a challenge. I don't have the where-with-all to edit and/or flash a BIOS chip. I should have hands on later this week.

P.S. When you look at a photo of the board, it's basically no different than any other 386/33 that you've ever seen.

Ole/Stone: Have you ever seen a TR setup that required an ISA card just to boot?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I'm not familiar with Token Ring.

I just have an 8' NIB IBM Token Ring Network PC Adapter Cable.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen