Image Map Image Map

Thread: Dos 2.0 source released

Blog Entries

Default Dos 2.0 source released

Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

Blog Entries

The source for MSDOS 6.0 should still be running around the web. Very different animal from 2.0. Miles of spaghetti code.

Blog Entries

The change was not the release which happened a few years ago; MS appears to have decided to put the code under the MIT license so using the code for something is possible while the earlier release was largely limited to researching articles about MS-DOS.

Quote Originally Posted by 8008guy View Post
    It is a pity that IO.SYS is missing.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    It is a pity that IO.SYS is missing.
    Is SKELIO.ASM not it? It's my understanding IO.SYS is where OEM customizations went.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

It is present. What is not present, unfortunately, is a description of a working build process (ie. how to turn the source into a bootable disk). An old MASM is required, but that's easy to fix.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    It is present. What is not present, unfortunately, is a description of a working build process (ie. how to turn the source into a bootable disk). An old MASM is required, but that's easy to fix.
    has anyone compared what MSFT released to what was given to CHM?

Blog Entries

The Version 2 seems to be the same except about half of the ASM files cause my diff program to announce "different in blanks only." V1.1 versus V1.25 directories show the same thing: files are identical except for most ASM files having different blanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    Is SKELIO.ASM not it? It's my understanding IO.SYS is where OEM customizations went.
    That's true--worked on a custom IO.SYS myself years back. I may even have the printed (probably now very faded) OEM build instructions somewhere deep in my paper files. I do remember that in that file, MS stated that DOS 2.0 was the first step in getting DOS and Xenix to a common product.

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    is skelio.asm not it? It's my understanding io.sys is where oem customizations went.
    Thank you !!!!
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org