Image Map Image Map

Thread: ROLM\Loral 1602

Default ROLM\Loral 1602

If as Pope tells us “Hope Springs Eternal” here is my current list of wanted of un-obtainable items:

The Rolm 1602 project

Have been working on this for some time now. Maybe five years and there is progress. The Rolm, Loral or SIAC 1602 is a militarized Data General Nova. In the last five years I have obtained a machine, many of the sub-assemblies like the control head and paper tape transport, some of the tools for working on the system and a lot of the documentation. By spending lots of money obtained the proper connectors and fabricated cables for the system and now have it running and doing simple task like running its debugger. See YouTube video at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJdTduulvAQ

The new plan is to build this entire system along with a rack mounted paper tape reader and some other stuff into a roll around rack. Need several small parts and one or two big things to accomplish this.

First part is more 55 pin military connectors, type MS27484T1 16F35PD that’s a size 16 connector and also need the M85049/49 -2-16 connector ends and M85049/17 16 W shell extenders.
    It’s a mess wiring up these connectors and the shell extenders would help greatly in the process.

Second would be any Nova paper tape programing, diagnostics, loaders or high level language (BASIC / FORTRAN).
    I will pay almost any cost for a paper tape copy of Basic, have several people who tried to email it to me but the stupid filters at work won’t let it pass. If anyone can point to a FTP site maybe I can download it that way or just the old school method of mailing me a real paper copy?

Soon I will start the migration of the system into its new rack, watch for a new You Tube video on that project.

Ray F/KA3EKH aka Qbus

Blog Entries

Just curious, do you have the 407 to go with the plugboard in the background in your video?

I am always buying and selling stuff on EBay and other places. It helps finance the hobby. I picked up about ten of those plug boards a couple years back for around $40 and thought they would sell well on EBay. Think I sold like two of them for around $20 each and the rest as a package deal out in Ohio. Kept one of the best looking ones as a conversation peace, thanks for letting me know where it came from.

Blog Entries

One of those puts a new old twist on "programming". Used to be that the 407s were just about everywhere--in the unit-record operations as well as being used as printer/card readers for some of the early vacuum tube computers. It's sort of funny--you'd see a TV program or movie that talked about computers and it meant punched cards and 082 sorters.

You know--we select the best man for the job and his card magically appears in a sorter pocket...

Just curious--have you touched base with Bruce Ray about your militarized Nova? I'm sure he'd be interested.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); October 2nd, 2018 at 01:49 PM.