Image Map Image Map

Thread: Looking to buy an 8087 confused about all the models

Default Looking to buy an 8087 confused about all the models

Hi all,

I am looking at add a 8087 co-processor to my XT system. It currently has a NEC V20 in it running at 4.77mhz. I notice that there seems to be a huge variety of 8087's that were produced in various clock speeds and revisions. Is there like an ideal one to get for a system like this or it just doesn't matter they will all work similarly.

Thank you.

Cool

Does not matter. A 10MHZ 8087 will run in step with the CPU @ CPU speed. Also: unless you have software that utilizes the FPU it is just socket filler.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNC View Post
    Also: unless you have software that utilizes the FPU it is just socket filler.
    I seem to recall there were only a few programs that actually used one of those.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Quote Originally Posted by pagefault View Post
    I am looking at add a 8087 co-processor to my XT system.
    The information at [here] may assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I seem to recall there were only a few programs that actually used one of those.
    Turbo Pascal 2.0 being one of them (from 1984 onward). It was a big thing for them back then!

I have a boxed 8087 with manual if that's of interest. It lists ~ 150 programs that can use this coprocessor.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Thanks for the replies all. I relise not a lot of software will use it I just wanted to add one for the sake of being able to, they are inexpensive and would be a decent addition to the system.