Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Internet in 1994

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Didn't get into it as deep as some of you professional people. BBS's were my thing in the late 80's and early 90's. I was always looking for latest and greatest free DOS utility or what ever else was available. I finally managed a 56K US Robotics external modem. My wife was always complaining about not being able to use the phone when she wanted to. Solution: Got another line into the house about the time 'Mindspring' popped up. Does anyone remember the exact time that you ditched dial-up and went with something from the phone company or cable people. I can't recall, but I do remember the giant leap forward with DSL.
    I was on Fidonet until I installed Win95. By then I had the same 56K Sportster you did. The intertubez convinced me to try DSL around '99 or so, which I found frustrating. Cincinnati Bell insisted on a having a portal through which one had to log in before accessing the internet. Alas, the portal had a terrible habit of crashing right before I had to upload something to one of my college projects. At that point I went to RoadRunner, and have used that since until very recently. These days I can use my android phone as a wifi hot spot.

Fidonet kinda spoiled me. The star topology made it easy to keep the trolls at bay. If you pissed one sysop off, they were quick to let everyone else on the local Fidonet know. We were lucky because one of the Cincinnati sysops worked for Krogers, who let us use one of their WATS lines late at night, so basically we got the backbone traffic for free.

In the 1994 timeframe I had a generic XT case with a 286 mainboard in it that I used for BBS stuff...though it died not too long after. My 'net access was thru a dial-up ISP to a shell account. It wasn't until about a year later that I built a 486DX2-80 based machine with OS/2 and Windows dual booting (IBM's OS/2 for Windows) that I moved to Trumpet Winsock and Mosaic...really getting into IRC and Usenet at that point.

One interesting thing I did with the shell access was to share it between my Amiga 3000 and Atari MegaST/2. I no longer recall how I did it, but I had a Multiface I/O board in the Amiga and redirected a CLI session out one of it's serial ports to a terminal program on the Atari. As long as whatever I ran thru the terminal program was command line, it worked great...including the Unix shell commands for 'net access. I had no real need to do this but it was fun to get working.
    Collection online nonstop since May 1997: http://www.cchaven.com

Blog Entries

I had a Wavelan Wireless card in my Amiga 1200 just to see if it worked (no not the 128 bit gold or 64bit silver version just the bronze which had no hardware encryption). Non encrypted WEP is not something I would mess with these days.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I had a Wavelan Wireless card in my Amiga 1200 just to see if it worked (no not the 128 bit gold or 64bit silver version just the bronze which had no hardware encryption). Non encrypted WEP is not something I would mess with these days.
    I believe that was the preferred one to use with the Newton 2000/2100 around 1996 or so. That combo was my first jump into wireless networking.
    Collection online nonstop since May 1997: http://www.cchaven.com

My company used to team with the local newspaper and install ISDN or T-1's (for wealthy companies) from maybe 1997-2002? ISDN was metered, so it was expensive, but not as expensive as a T-1.

Bellsouth rolled out DSL in the early 2000's, and Comcast rolled out "Excite@Home" cable modem service in 2002 (I am thinking it was 2,4, or 5 Megabit?).

I had an e-mail address and shell account through college (Georgia Tech) starting in 1989, and used it for SLIP for a while even afterward (using the Amiga until 1994, then switching to Windows 95). I think I converted from dialup to Comcast cable (Excite@Home) in 2003.