Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCSI CF Reader (External)

Blog Entries

Yeah, you really want to go with Cfast

The real question is how do the SD(HC)/XD cards do with "wear leveling"? Can you reliably put a paging file on one and expect reasonable life? The card manufacturers don't seem to want to divulge their aging algorithms.

FWIW, there are manufactured SD-to-CF adapters. I have one such; it's okay but not really fast.

2. Default

An empty SYQUEST IOMEGA SCSI enclosure can be had for $40 shipped, then another $84 before shipping from Australia for the v6 SCSI2SD, and another $20 for the 3.5" mounting faceplate. At this price I'd rather just try and get what I'm actually looking for. Yes, I could get one of those 3d printed enclosures for the v5 for $23 and 75$ for that revision SCSI2SD but I am even more averse to using a microSD.

Perhaps we could change the topic from "SD vs CF" to which, if any, external SCSI Card Readers will not work for a PC? Most of these are used for sequencers, keyboards, and other digital instruments and with the prices I want to make sure I can actually use it for these purposes.

Blog Entries

You could have issues--do you have an ASPI driver for that 8-bit controller? Some of these external card readers have their own driver software--the 8 bit SCSI BIOS may not recognize the card reader as a bootable device.

Recall that SCSI support for hardware is usually dual-layer Controller->ASPI interface->device driver

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    You could have issues--do you have an ASPI driver for that 8-bit controller? Some of these external card readers have their own driver software--the 8 bit SCSI BIOS may not recognize the card reader as a bootable device.

Recall that SCSI support for hardware is usually dual-layer Controller->ASPI interface->device driver
    I'll be using this card - http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...221#post534221.

The only ones I know work for sure are the Microtech/Minolta/Intermart (P)CD-10s, as Cloudschatze uses one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The real question is how do the SD(HC)/XD cards do with "wear leveling"? Can you reliably put a paging file on one and expect reasonable life?
    I have several rather active RPi servers that do this. I had no problems until just recently the SD card on one has gone corrupt twice. The first time I must have had a power surge because all my running computers had severely corrupted hard drives and SD cards after a storm. The second time may be due to damage from the first.

I'm sure there are a lot of other people using RPis with the intensity I do, I wonder if there's data out there.