Image Map Image Map

Thread: MADGE Smart 16/4 PCI Ringnode Network adapter.

Default MADGE Smart 16/4 PCI Ringnode Network adapter.

Hello,
    I'm looking for a driver to make the MADGE Smart 16/4 PCI Ringnode Network adapter run on Windows 3.11.
    My computer is a Tulip 486 DX4 100 Mhz with two PCI slots.
    plz help

Here's the CD from 1999 with all the drivers:
    https://archive.org/download/MadgeTo...rtSoftware6.11

Download the .mds and .mdf files

Burn to CD or mount to your desktop and extract (use wincdemu if you are using Windows):
    http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/?

Ringnode? ITS TOKEN RING BABY! Far superior to ethernet (collision free!) Man.. I really miss token ring! I remember doing a big swap out project switching 16bit token ring to 100mb ethernet... I think it was 1997 or 98. We still had soo many IBM type 1 connectors. Token ring gave us no problems.. It never felt slow to me so the switch was something I didnt feel we needed.

We used Ollicom token ring cards,, anyone remember them? They were really god cards with few failures.
    Last edited by VERAULT; October 5th, 2018 at 03:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Ringnode? ITS TOKEN RING BABY! Far superior to ethernet (collision free!) Man.. I really miss token ring! I remember doing a big swap out project switching 16bit token ring to 100mb ethernet... I think it was 1997 or 98. We still had soo many IBM type 1 connectors. Token ring gave us no problems.. It never felt slow to me so the switch was something I didnt feel we needed.

We used Ollicom token ring cards,, anyone remember them? They were really god cards with few failures.

VERAULT:

Question for you. Did any of your Token Ring lashups possess a card that contained part(s) of the server BIOS? The reason I'm asking is I now have a Peak/DM mobo which acted as a Token Ring server, but needed a special ISA card to boot. Did you ever hear of or see such a thing?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Funny, I also worked on a Token Ring to ethernet conversion project in about 2002. I had a bunch of Madge cards and stuff. I kept a bunch til about 2005 and tried to see if I could do anything with it or even sell it but it wasn't worth the price to even ebay, so i eventually chucked it all.
    Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ielber View Post
    Hello,
    I'm looking for a driver to make the MADGE Smart 16/4 PCI Ringnode Network adapter run on Windows 3.11.
    My computer is a Tulip 486 DX4 100 Mhz with two PCI slots.
    plz help
    wow thank you, I successfully installed the driver but after restarting the computer stops at this command " c:/windows/net start"!! what is wrong plz help.

ok I changed the network adapter to a 3com one and it worked perfectly, I guess the first one was not working and recognized by the computer
    thank you a lot for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    VERAULT:

Question for you. Did any of your Token Ring lashups possess a card that contained part(s) of the server BIOS? The reason I'm asking is I now have a Peak/DM mobo which acted as a Token Ring server, but needed a special ISA card to boot. Did you ever hear of or see such a thing?
    Sorry AO, That doesnt ring a bell. I mean it was 20 years ago, but honestly that type of interface doesnt sound like anything Id seen at the time. There were full height racks of Type 1 connectors, Plenty of BNC thin coax (maybe a few thicknet) and twisted pair, If we had something acting as a token ring server it was under my nose and I didnt even know it.

Blog Entries

Sorry AO, That doesnt ring a bell. I mean it was 20 years ago, but honestly that type of interface doesnt sound like anything Id seen at the time. There were full height racks of Type 1 connectors, Plenty of BNC thin coax (maybe a few thicknet) and twisted pair, If we had something acting as a token ring server it was under my nose and I didnt even know it.
    Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, that problem will cease to exist with the new BIOS chip that's on its way.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting