Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Exidy Sorcerer CP/M logical device redirection

Quote Originally Posted by exidyboy
    Not transferring that region of memory using the XMODEM protocol

I've been reading the XMODEM 'spec' (hey, got to have SOME fun on a Friday night right? ) and the bytes I can see in the serial trace that are repeated 10 times are my program trying to send a malformed XMODEM packet and not getting a NAK. The packet format is:
    Code:
    <SOH><blk #><255-blk #><--128 data bytes--><cksum>

and the spec says the sender can repeat the transmission 10 times before giving up which is what happens. That I'm getting mostly FF in each one of those positions tells me that something is maybe clobbering the RAM locations that the program is writing to/reading from. The original code has inline calculations in the assembler that may not have translated correctly between 8080 and Z80 mnemonics so I have that to check too. If I can find the RAM address it's using as the beginning of the buffer for sector data I can DUmp those locations to see if I can spot anything recognisable.
    www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - UK home computer history
    Where RIFA capacitors come to die
    facebook.com/binarydinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by dutchacorn
    There is a switch on the back of my Sorcerer that says "viditel 9600". It influences the serial port function (but does not seem to switch it to 9600 baud

I've seen a lot of mentions in (I think) SCUG newsletters of monitor extensions to handle 'proper' terminal types under CP/M so maybe it's one of those? I've also found mention of ESAG's Monitor 1.3 which I guess is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchacorn View Post
    The Modem7 program resists conversion to tape. I found the version I saved loads ok, but does not work. So it takes a bit more investigation.
    MODEM7, YAM and STERM (mentioned here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...972#post539972 ) are the 3 comms program for the Sorcerer mentioned in SCUA newsletters articles about connecting to their RBBS. (BTW I've just tracked down the SYSOP - maybe the group back up the RBBS before they shut it down )
    Are you saying that MODEM7 loaded from 300baud tape worked fine but doesn't work when saved at 1200baud and re-loaded?
    If so what is the failure mode?

Quote Originally Posted by exidyboy View Post
    MODEM7, YAM and STERM (mentioned here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...972#post539972 ) are the 3 comms program for the Sorcerer mentioned in SCUA newsletters articles about connecting to their RBBS. (BTW I've just tracked down the SYSOP - maybe the group back up the RBBS before they shut it down )
    Are you saying that MODEM7 loaded from 300baud tape worked fine but doesn't work when saved at 1200baud and re-loaded?
    If so what is the failure mode?
    No, what I mean is that I can't get it to run again if I reload it, no matter what baud rate I save / load it. It simply crashes. It probably needs CP/M to function.

With my CPM 2.2 I managed to redirect output using the following command:
    STAT LST:=UL1:

And then redirect using LST:

It is a whopping 300 baud (don't know if you can change that). But at least I can redirect text files to the terminal and save those using copy/paste. So I'll see if I can grab the documentation for the Modem7 program.

The Modem7 program does not play along though. If I choose Terminal mode I get a lot of graphics characters on the screen. It does not seem to select the correct serial port. I have not managed to get file transfer to work.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchacorn View Post
    No, what I mean is that I can't get it to run again if I reload it, no matter what baud rate I save / load it. It simply crashes. It probably needs CP/M to function.
    Yes my understanding is all those programs are predicated on CP/M.
    There are plenty of very short 'terminal programs' that send and receive characters out the serial port to communicate with, say, a primitive modem but none have file transfer capability AFAIK.

Here is the documentation I found for Modem7. Still have to find a way to transfer the binary.

Modem7.doc: documentation on how to use it
    Modem7.set: instructions how to modify / customize the MODEM7.COM program
    Modem.lib: library with modem functions (assembler)
    Modem7.asm: source code for the program. There were several disk errors reported during transfer so it may not be complete and can be corrupted.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nza6v6f3jp...odem7.zip?dl=0

There were several disk errors reported during transfer so it may not be complete and can be corrupted.

It certainly makes MYZ80 choke with DRI's MAC assembler. I'll keep trying others though.