Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choices for tweener system

Blog Entries

Too much variability in hardware of the time for a "one-size fits all" direct I/O port solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    My biggest concern is whether the FAT32 file system will muck up older programs. Obviously older disk maintenance apps are out (there goes Norton's Utilities 4.5) but will older apps like Windows 1.03 or 3.11 work?
    Windows 3.11 can work on a FAT32 disk, but it requires some patches, see eg. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=31922

I grabbed the two patch files, but in reference to the post, at one point it says "Be sure to check the documentation (basically you forget 32bit disk/file access)"

That sounds like it kills 32-bit file access. That can't be right, can it?

I mean, if I have to SE will run apps from earlier versions of Windows, yes? I just wanted to play with earlier versions. For some reason, the idea of running Windows 1.03 on a modern system tickles my funny bone. That, and the occasional DOS game like Their Finest Hour and Quake, although I got Quake and Quake II to run on my main Win7 system.

Blog Entries

Maybe you're confusing 32-bit disk/file access (i.e. 32-bit VxD) with FAT32? They're not the same thing.