Image Map Image Map

Thread: 1975 'Computer'

Blog Entries

Default 1975 'Computer'

Think this is a terminal ... doesn't seem to have enough circuitry for a full computer, label notwithstanding. They paid $36k??? In 1975?? Ouch! I'm thinking this was a terminal to a now-vanished mini computer or something that actually would have been worth that kind of money.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253918230966

Blog Entries

Not a computer, not even a complete terminal. I suspect there is a (missing?) part that contains the character generation, etc. circuitry. The two SO-239 connectors on the display are just for video feed. The small connector on the base below the AC connection is very probably serial output from the keyboard.

Video Systems Corp. did produce terminals for a short time; see Here for an example. But this thing is incomplete, as-is.

Blog Entries

It reminds me of some Wang terminals I had. They were glorified composite (but not TV frequencies) monitors with built in serial keyboards. They plugged into a box with a backplane, a communication card (to be connected to a matching Wang 8086 box), and one each interface (framebuffer) for the terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Think this is a terminal ... doesn't seem to have enough circuitry for a full computer, label notwithstanding.
    "The computer powers on and you can see numbers on the screen."

Burned into the phosphor, no doubt.