Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Compaq Portable 1 Issues

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Just spent 3 hours replacing the foam pads in the keyboard and now it works! God do I hate Keytronics keyboards...
    I watched the 8bitguy video the other day where he replaced those and it looked like a nightmare.. I thought trying to get my M2 keyboard working again was bad, but that actually looked worse.
    -- Brian

Working Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Yeah, I've done 1 other before. You have to pick all the old pieces out and clean it up really good, then try and get the plastic base of the foam pad under each of the 4 clips with something like a dental pick. Probably 45 seconds a key for over 100 keys... Then you have to make sure the pads and the traces on the board are spotless or it won't work.

Looks like I got a working floppy controller and cable, and I know my hard drive is good, I booted my Amstrad PC1512 from it. When I run Speedstor to try and low level format the drive, I get an "Error 0x00 - Controller fails to respond". Any ideas? I've never had this issue before and I tried 2 different known good controllers.

Never mind, I figured out my cable was coming apart! threw a new one in and it seems like it's good now. Fingers crossed