Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compaq Portable 1 Issues

Have you actually tried the parallel port? Just because the floppy is dead doesn't mean the other functions are.

You can do serial transfers as well; it's not a true network but it will get the job done.

A 386 would probably work. I've used MFM and RLL drives in a 386 albeit, with a 16-bit controller. Give it a try.

FWIW, parallel and Serial ports are, by nature, 8-bit beasts so if you have a 16-bit multi I/O card you might just get lucky using it in an 8-bit slot for strictly I/O purposes.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

The other problem is the keyboard is completely dead at the moment. I'm just going to hand off the drive and the controller to my friend who has a better chance of getting the data off of it. Is there any chance I might find the drivers/software for "The Companion Card" if it doesn't work out? I think the Fast 88 is purely hardware and shouldn't need any of the data off the hard drive.

Here are a couple pics of that uSpeed Fast 88 and "The Companion Card". I haven't actually unplugged it, but it appears the Fast 88 replaces a chip on the motherboard located on the edge of the motherboard, forward of the isa slots. I think this is going to be a pretty beastly XT machine once it's sorted. Also, the Fast 88 has an rj11 plug on it and connects to an external "control box" for lack of a better term. It basically has a toggle switch to change the cpu clock speed and a reset button.

20181007_092902.jpg20181007_092921.jpg

I just placed an order for some new keyboard pads from Texelec because I couldn't find the set I already have... Has anyone seen this expansion card or the Fast 88 before? I didn't think it was possible to utilize more than 640k of ram with an 8088. I also have never heard of a device that overclocks the cpu using hardware like this Fast 88

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I didn't think it was possible to utilize more than 640k of ram with an 8088.
    It's possible and there are several ways. Here's one I have:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...Expansion-card
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Ok, so I definitely need the data off the original hard drive then. I did a little more research on that ram expansion and it was apparently made my Mega Omega Systems. Is there any chance of finding the software if I can't get it off the hard drive?

Is there any chance of finding the software if I can't get it off the hard drive?
    Unless somebody pops in to this thread and says they have a copy, then I'd go out on a limb and say no, you won't be able to find a copy on the internet.

I've archived some vintag-y drivers lately and until I posted them it was like Google had never even heard of the product names. And even when it has, the first 1000 results are commercial and/or content-less spam web sites. On occasions, if one already knows an exact filename they might find one sitting in an FTP/web folder. It's getting harder to find legitimate content any more, and even harder yet it it doesn't have to do with selling cell phones.

So if you can recover the files, please do post them somewhere or send them our way and we will make sure they stay "out there" somewhere.

Looks like the original hard drive is stuck again. Is there any place I can put a drop of oil to lubricate it a little?
    I bought a Compaq Portable 1 upgraded with a Miniscribe 30 mb MFM drive, sold as a non-functional drive. It was shipped across the country by FedEx, slammed and dropped along the way. The case incurred a small crack on one corner, but in an odd twist of fate, the jostling must have un-stuck the drive (assuming stiction). It has worked fine for years. So, if you are out of options, shipping it FedEx across the country, or perhaps a light rapping might free it up.

If I can get readable files off the drive, I'll definitely post them of send them to someone that can post them. The drive spins just fine, it just has to get past that initial tightness and it works fine for as long as it's on

Just spent 3 hours replacing the foam pads in the keyboard and now it works! God do I hate Keytronics keyboards...