Image Map Image Map

Thread: Generic PC Cases

Default Generic PC Cases

Stupid question......

In my mid 30's and going through a mid life computer crisis.

Want to build the first PC I ever started (DOS) gaming on in my early teens (essentially our first computer ever)...

The machine was a generic horizontal box, had a floppy in the center that was oriented vertically, and I believe 2 or 3 bays for cd-rom on the right side. I believe just cooling and 2 or 3 buttons on the left side. It began with windows 3.11 and later got an upgrade to 95. What a night that was. I still remember it...

If anyone can help me track down a generic box like that I can do the rest.... or even a model number from one. If you saw it, you would all recognize it from the early 90's. They where everywhere.

PS, I also wouldn't mind getting ahold of the next computer we had..... Compaq presario 5000.

These computers nowdays just don't do it for me like the old ones did.

Blog Entries

It is a bit harder to find cases just like that unless you intend on buying used. https://www.interloper.com/products/...115548&cat=412 has only one vertical 3.5" floppy bay. Go up a level on the site and find a couple more with 2 vertical 3.5" floppy bays. The 2 vertical bay cases are a bit larger and easier to slide in a motherboard without components bumping into the power supply.

This is on Ebay atm...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/486-Vinta....c100167.m2940

Seems to fit your description. Sadly it's a bit of a trek for you!

Apparently the advanced technology used to make computer cases in any color other than BLACK has been lost to the ages.

Both very very close, but not the one I had..... Gosh I wish I remembered the name. It had a badge on it in one corner. Also I do remember another detail. The buttons were stacked up vertically. Power was one, turbo another, and the 3rd was a key. Next to each button was an LED.....

I'll find one. They're out there. There was tons of them. After my family got one, I remember my grade school upgraded from early apple II's to PC's and they had the very same generic case with a different badge on it. Sadly when they upgraded they got rid of the Apple II's. I was able to rescue one IIe and some software from the dumpster. Sadly it ended up back there after it stopped booting. I assume was a memory issue. Anyhow. Thanks!
    Last edited by tblake05; October 7th, 2018 at 01:39 PM.

Right! Remember the spinning apple commercial on TV when the G3 was released? Soon all manufacturers were following suit.

That Presario 5000 was a great machine when we bought it. Which lasted 5 minutes until it was outdated. Amazing how fast technology was moving for a while. I remember I upgraded the heck out of that thing. Pushed its limits. My parents finally stopped using it about 5 years ago and scrapped it (without letting me know sadly). Wish I could have gotten it. Oh well!