Image Map Image Map

Thread: WTB: PS/2 Model 80 planar/motherboard OR recap service

Default WTB: PS/2 Model 80 planar/motherboard OR recap service

Just a guy trying to put together a reliable 8580-071. The logic board in mine seems to be shot. Its part number is 33F8416. If you have one, I'll buy it. If you're an expert with a soldering iron, I'd be willing to ship it to you to recap.

Blog Entries

It helps to let us know where you are. There may be a Hack Space or FabLab near where some one would help you re-cap it.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Sure. Im in central AL.

Your Profile conveniently holds that info so you don't have to mention it every time you post a message.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Hi. Thank you again for your purchase. Too bad it was not the PSU. On the 57 it was the PSU. You can always ask the PS/2 newsgroup as well: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...m.ps2.hardware. Plus AmiBay, Reddit Vintage Computers, Reddit MS-DOS and Facebook Vintage Computers for Sale. Plus they pop up on Craigslist / OfferUp / LetGo / Facebook Marketplace as well.

Ah, you must be the guy who sold it to me! You know, it's actually in very good shape for its age. I actually got it to post with a new battery, reloaded the CMOS with the reference disk, played with it for a couple of hours, and then it gave up the ghost on one reboot. Floppy looks pristine, hard drive seems good. Thanks for the link to that newsgroup.

Interesting. Well: look for a local electronics repair shop. They may be able to assist as well. Sometimes CRT and video player guys can do basic repairs like replacing capacitors and the like when you supply them with the parts. A MOBO is just a (multilayered) PCB after all.

Now although I don't recommend trying to do it yourself yet, you should eventually teach yourself to be able to solder and replace components on logic boards. It comes in really handy when restoring vintage computers and it is the most common cause of failure on any part of a computer. If you don't know how to solder, try practicing on cheap or broken electronics before you throw them out, like monitors, flatscreen TV's, old desktops, etc. I learned the hard way when I first started soldering by breaking the boards I was working on. I made the mistake of buying a cheap iron. I now have a $100 Hakko and it was definitely worth the money.