Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The lstest from Microsoft . . .

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    A developer designed unit test will prove if the code is doing what it is specified to do; it will not show if the specification was a bad idea.
    Which also explains the Windows 8 UI disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    That site is asking for a login, but other sites have covered the story:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/1...-update-paused

I know Microsoft is introducing a new feature where if your hard drive is running low on space, Windows 10 will automatically upload some of your not-recently-used documents to your OneDrive account and then delete them from your hard drive. That sounds like a recipe for disaster if it doesn't double-check to make sure that the file got uploaded successfully and is accessible from OneDrive before deleting it from your computer!

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Which also explains the Windows 8 UI disaster.
    The Windows 8 UI was completely understandable if you were using it on a phone, or even a tablet if you used your fingers rather than a stylus.

For mouse users it was a disaster because using a mouse to simulate touch-screen gestures made no sense at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kgober View Post
    The Windows 8 UI was completely understandable if you were using it on a phone, or even a tablet if you used your fingers rather than a stylus.

For mouse users it was a disaster because using a mouse to simulate touch-screen gestures made no sense at all.
    Pixel perfect targeting requirements were not good on a tablet either. 8.1's tweaks helped a lot though the tutorial showcasing the hot corners was still a necessity. Not amongst the most discoverable of UIs.

Windows 8 in its beta form using Windows 7 UI as the default computer option plus the addition of potential tablet applications and the improved versions of several utilities like Task Manager would have been a winner.

There are still many elements of a touch-oriented UI in Windows 10 even when it knows you're using a mouse and keyboard. For example, some of the notifications say "tap here" instead of "click here". Apparently IF TOUCHSCREEN=0 THEN PRINT "CLICK HERE" is too hard to program.

And to dismiss some notifications, instead of having an X in the upper right corner like what has been standard in Windows for the past 23 years, they now have a right arrow button that makes it slide to the right and disappear off the edge of the screen when you click on it, giving no explanation of where it's going or what you're doing. It took me a while to realize that that's the equivalent of swiping right on a mobile phone dating app!

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    There are still many elements of a touch-oriented UI in Windows 10 even when it knows you're using a mouse and keyboard. For example, some of the notifications say "tap here" instead of "click here". Apparently IF TOUCHSCREEN=0 THEN PRINT "CLICK HERE" is too hard to program.

And to dismiss some notifications, instead of having an X in the upper right corner like what has been standard in Windows for the past 23 years, they now have a right arrow button that makes it slide to the right and disappear off the edge of the screen when you click on it, giving no explanation of where it's going or what you're doing. It took me a while to realize that that's the equivalent of swiping right on a mobile phone dating app!
    That, and the notifications don't actually clear out with the latest update for Windows 10, much like Android 7 until Android 8 (when you swiped the notifications to the right, you don't get those numbers going all over your screen for every app you have installed. I got used to Windows 10 after I upgraded to that for free back in 2015 on my main desktop from Windows 8.1. I'm also not fond of dating sites or apps (they want my paycheck for using their service) and I'm old school: meeting someone in person since you cannot trust anyone on the Internet (convicts, rapist, murderers, druggies, thing like that) that are on dating sites/apps.
    Current retro systems:
    2x Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. B and C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, aka, the Ultimate Sound Card machine
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    iMac G4/800 Lampshade, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

Blog Entries

Ok, so let's put this bug into perspective. First and foremost, MS rolls out updates like this slowly precisely to catch anythings like this, secondly this only affected "one one-hundredth of one percent of version 1809 installs" and on top of all of this, MS pulled the update immediately after they realized it was an issue, so they could investigate it further. That is a tiny number of people, and even then most of the ones that did the folder redirection properly did not lose data that was not duplicated.

The bug had to do with folder redirection. Prior to 1809 some people noted that when the redirected a "known folder" (such as the Downloads, Documents etc) from the default location the original folder was re-created and was left there empty. So MS implemented a fix in 1809 that would delete those folders. Their mistake was to assume that users had redirected the folders correctly, that is to select "copy the data" when doing the redirect. People who did not copy the data from the old folder to the new one are the ones who lost the data, others just saw the duplicated original folder disappear.

MS Windows is a seriously complicated beast from a code stand point, and let's face it, even the best coders in the world will make mistakes and/or write code that has unintended consequences. This is precisely why update processes exist. We cannot expect MS to release perfect code every time, and it is unreasonable to expect them to test for EVERY use case that is out there (and I hazard a guess that the vast majority of their users do not use folder redirection at all). The best we can do is to expect them to act as they did with this issue, and that is to pull the update immediately, investigate it, and even go so far as to help users who have run afoul of the issue. And as a company MS is leaps and bounds ahead of most others on this front.

Here is MS's posting about the issue:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...dows-insiders/

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10