Image Map Image Map

Thread: Combo drive problems on IBM PS/1

Question Combo drive problems on IBM PS/1

I have a Canon MD7511-C6 combo drive in my PS/1 and the 5.25" drive works great but the 3.5" has some problems. I cleaned the heads so that's not it... when it tries to read a disk in Win3.1, I get the message that the disk is not formatted, do I want to format it now. In DOS 6, I just get the normal cannot read disk message (abort, retry, etc). I've tried many, many different disks. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Roger
    Always interested in Atari 8-bit and 486/early Pentium era software & hardware!

Blog Entries

The 3.5" drive on these combos is very small (about the size of a notebook floppy) and delicate. Have you tried to fromat it in DOS 6? If it fails, what's the message?

In DOS 6, I just get the normal cannot read disk message (abort, retry, etc).
    Always interested in Atari 8-bit and 486/early Pentium era software & hardware!

try to clean head connector specially if the board of the drive is not covered.

if you are testing with old floppys then thay may be damaged, I have more than 50 old ones that cant be read or formatted I don't know why even if they looks clean like new. try with new diskette

I have a similar problem with a Canon MD5511 combo drive. The 3.5 gives the Abort, Retry, Ignore on a read attempt, but when trying to reformat a blank, it gives an error about not finding track 0, bad media, etc. I attempted to readjust the track 0 stop back and forth, but it still failed. The 3.5 in a combo seems like the first thing to go.

Edit: The 5.25 works perfectly, so it is hooked up right. Also, both motors on the 3.5 are working, just no data...
    Last edited by mediasponge; October 13th, 2018 at 07:09 PM.

Blog Entries

I've commented on the delicacy of the 3.5" section of the Teac FD505 drives before. On some, versions however, the 3.5" is nothing more than an FD05 bolted to the top of a modified FD105, so not a complete washout as far as repair.