Image Map Image Map

Thread: Shugart 400L

Default Shugart 400L

I have Shugart 400L connected to an Ohio Scientific C4P. The drive is throwing Write Protect errors. This drive has a mechanical write protect switch, so it could be the switch. It might also have something to do with the logic board. Ive been reading the service manual to see if there is a way to permanently disable Write Protect. I noticed that the WP trace to Pin 28 is cut. The manual has the following:

"If the WP" trace is cut, writing to the diskette is inhibited unless a Write Protect label is installed over the notch. If I am reading this right, its saying I need to use a write protect label to get the drive to write to the floppy. Can that be right?

TB

Quote Originally Posted by lowrybt View Post
    "If the “WP" trace is cut, writing to the diskette is inhibited unless a Write Protect label is installed over the notch.” If I am reading this right, it’s saying I need to use a write protect label to get the drive to write to the floppy. Can that be right?

TB
    Yes, your statement is correct. This make the drive behave as did 8” floppies for which the label was placed over the notch to enable writes. However, I’d just restore the WP jumper short so the drive behaves as expected.

Mike