Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magnets are built into cpu coolers. Unsafe?

Blog Entries

Chuck, to prevent muddling the issue for computerdude92, can you reassure him that the insertion of a floppy drive inside a computer will not cause hard drive data loss or operational issues?

I have witnessed diskettes erased when placed on top of an Amdek monitor that was turned off and then powered on and the degaussing coil ran for a few seconds (as is normal).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Hard drives are generally well-shielded and not susceptible to external magnetic fields unless, I suspect, you're accustomed to computing inside of an operating MRI system.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Chuck, to prevent muddling the issue for computerdude92, can you reassure him that the insertion of a floppy drive inside a computer will not cause hard drive data loss or operational issues?

I have witnessed diskettes erased when placed on top of an Amdek monitor that was turned off and then powered on and the degaussing coil ran for a few seconds (as is normal).
    I didn't mean it that way. My old PCs don't have internal parts and fans as magnetic as my modern PC. (Other than the floppy drive) I've had no trouble with floppy drives in my old PCs being next to my hard drives. I was just asking.
    Last edited by computerdude92; October 10th, 2018 at 11:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    Sorry, I just couldn't help myself...
    Clearly your memory is solid state.

First, most motors are shielded reasonably well. If not, they would be less efficient. The motor would draw more power than the IC it is trying to protect. I did have problems with a color CRT sitting right on top of my AT computer. It was an issue with writing, not reading. It seems that floppy drives are more sensitive to stray field during the write. I put a 2 inch phone book between monitor and the PC. I never had another issue( invest square law at work )..
    Also remember, magnetic field are an inverse law field, once your clear of any field shaping poles.The fields in a hard drive are reasonably well contained in the pole pieces. The direction of the fields were designed to have minimum effect on the data.
    I would think that a really strong field would have an effect on electro-migration. Since they leaned how to bond wires properly, it is the more common failure of IC. The only issue is that for any particular circuit, you don't know if the field increases the failure there or help to keep it from failing, for each stretch of conductor.
    Dwight