Image Map Image Map

Thread: NEC APC: Serial port?

Default NEC APC: Serial port?

So, I've got a NEC APC and I'd like to pipe some software over via KERMIT since I don't have the hacked cables needed to hook it up to a AT PC running Imagedisk for imaging. It looks like the serial port's a centronics connector of some variety, but the pinout corresponds to regular 232 in some way - anyone know if there's an adapter I can get?

Blog Entries

NEC called the 36-pin Amphenol/Centronics/Blue-Ribbon to DB25 cable simply a "Communications cable", but they're easy enough to make yourself. Details on the pinout of the 36-pin connector are on page 3-47 of the APC System Manual.

It won't be of much use to you in the immediate, but I have the dual 5 1/4" floppy drive set + controller by Butler Flats Associates. No software unfortunately, I was a fool and didn't take steps necessary to preserve it. I really should hang on to it, although I don't have plans to appropriate anymore APCs, it would be a boon to the struggling APC UNO community to replicate it. But if anyone wants it, 100 pesos + shipping. I also have a set of APC boards sans CPU card, though I do have the 8087 and adapter.

How difficult would it be to write drivers for that board? There isn't much on it at all. Something tells me not very hard.

I also have an APC III / gringo PC-9801, not for sale. There's one on eBay, or was, moocho denaro.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    It won't be of much use to you in the immediate, but I have the dual 5 1/4" floppy drive set + controller by Butler Flats Associates. No software unfortunately, I was a fool and didn't take steps necessary to preserve it. I really should hang on to it, although I don't have plans to appropriate anymore APCs, it would be a boon to the struggling APC UNO community to replicate it. But if anyone wants it, 100 pesos + shipping. I also have a set of APC boards sans CPU card, though I do have the 8087 and adapter.

How difficult would it be to write drivers for that board? There isn't much on it at all. Something tells me not very hard.

I also have an APC III / gringo PC-9801, not for sale. There's one on eBay, or was, moocho denaro.
    Ah, the Butler Flats card/drive! I think I may have PMed you about that - I'd be interested in taking them if you can't find a home, but I'm between jobs right now so cash is at a bit of a premium. Keep in touch, though! I do know a person who might be able to do some reverse engineering, but...I bought his APC off him.

Also, a side thought that occurred to me: Anyone ever tried booting a copy of NEC PTOS meant for a N5200/05 on a APC? The APC's a localized N5200/05 so it should theoretically work, but i bet there'd be a ton of mojibake involved due to the APC's ROM probably not having kanji or kana in it.
    Last edited by MrArgent; October 8th, 2018 at 04:48 PM.