Image Map Image Map

Thread: Need help with windows 1.04 stack overflow

Default Need help with windows 1.04 stack overflow

Hi
    I'm trying to run windows 1.04 using my old PC parts. I've managed to install DOS and windows, but I couldn't launch windows - it showed "stack overflow" error only. Somehow i've managed to run windows, but it freezes after few seconds or when launching any app. I suppose it might be CPU speed fault, it's probably running too fast and windows can't handle it (e.g. gets "divide by 0" operations). Is there a way to somehow fix this, or maybe slow down CPU speed (like 30 times)? I cannot find any help on this in the internet. I've also considered PS/2 mouse as a reason for all of this, I've copied drivers from Windows 2.0 as Windows 1.04 is not supporting PS/2.

Intel pentium 4, 2.4GHz
    256 MB RAM
    Integrated GPU
    Phoenix 5.0 BIOS (Btw. I'd like to access more options, including advanced ones if anyone know how to do it)
    85.2MB WD Caviar
    3.5" FDD, 300W Power supply
    PS/2 mouse and keyboard

Blog Entries

One cause of a stack overflow would be if the version of DOS is later than 3.3. SETVER can correct for that.

I think overall that Windows 1.x is better served when run under a emulator like PCEM.

Could you describe the problem with the BIOS in more detail?
    Last edited by krebizfan; October 9th, 2018 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike__ View Post
    Is there a way to somehow fix this, or maybe slow down CPU speed (like 30 times)?
    You could give slowdown.com a try:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...iles&styleid=2
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Windows 1 simply cannot operate with that configuration. The system is running WAY too fast.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Could you describe the problem with the BIOS in more detail?
    I have access to some basic settings only and would like more advanced ones to be availible
    43762989_2086668354710855_5462045188908122112_n.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike__ View Post
    Intel pentium 4, 2.4GHz
    WAY too fast. Two decades and orders of magnitude too fast. If you don't have something period-appropriate, you should probably be trying to run Windows 1.x in an emulator.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I've run Windows 1.x on Athlon XP machines without any apparent speed-related problems.

The big mistake most people make is that when running on DOS 5.0 or higher you MUST a line in the SETVER settings.

For Windows 1.x it needs the entry:

WIN100.BIN 3.40

And for Windows 2.x it needs the entry:

WIN200.BIN 3.40

(Why 3.4? I don't know, Windows 95 comes with the setver setting "WIN200.BIN 3.40" pre-programmed in so that is usually what I use).