Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VIC20 and C64 Keys - How to get them all working??

I used to have Sargon chess for the C64.

How similar are the kbs of the vic 20, C64, and c16? I imagine they aren't interchangeable. For instance I have a c64c mobo and power brick, that's it. Can I plug my c16 kb into it, is the cabling even the same, and register any keystrokes at all?

Quote Originally Posted by rpiguy2 View Post
    Congratulations! Full keyboard disassembly is one of least favorite jobs, kudos on slogging through it.
    Pshaw! A good power screwdriver and a couple of containers for the screws and parts and it's a relaxing way to spend an evening while listening to a baseball game or good music.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    I used to have Sargon chess for the C64.

How similar are the kbs of the vic 20, C64, and c16? I imagine they aren't interchangeable. For instance I have a c64c mobo and power brick, that's it. Can I plug my c16 kb into it, is the cabling even the same, and register any keystrokes at all?
    VIC-20 and C64 are 100% compatible and have an identical key layout. The C16 keyboard is also electrically compatible but they moved some of the keys around so you have to remember what you are actually pressing.

There are at least three different kinds of key caps/stems and you cannot swap the key caps between two keyboards that use different stems.