Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acquired a IIGS..but it won't boot to GS/OS?

Default Acquired a IIGS..but it won't boot to GS/OS?

I just recently acquired a complete IIGS system (well, with a Mac keyboard/mouse and an Applied Engineering 5.25 floppy drive) and I managed to make a GS/OS disk and a game disk for testing but I just cannot actually get the system to boot into GS/OS. Trying to boot off the GS/OS crashes every single time with an 0308 fatal error (the explanation of which I found makes zero sense to me) and the game disk (which seems to be a booter) tries to boot but instead gets kicked to the monitor instead. Are my disks somehow bad or could the problem be with the IIGS itself?

I'm trying to boot GS/OS 5.0.4, which should run given I have a fully populated 1MB RAM card.

try the self diagnostic, hold open-apple and option keys then power on. it should flash colors for awhile then System Good

Larry G

Quote Originally Posted by itsvince725 View Post
    I just recently acquired a complete IIGS system (well, with a Mac keyboard/mouse and an Applied Engineering 5.25 floppy drive) and I managed to make a GS/OS disk and a game disk for testing but I just cannot actually get the system to boot into GS/OS. Trying to boot off the GS/OS crashes every single time with an 0308 fatal error (the explanation of which I found makes zero sense to me) and the game disk (which seems to be a booter) tries to boot but instead gets kicked to the monitor instead. Are my disks somehow bad or could the problem be with the IIGS itself?

I'm trying to boot GS/OS 5.0.4, which should run given I have a fully populated 1MB RAM card.
    I'm going to assume the machine is a ROM 01 or ROM 3. If you machine just says "Apple IIgs" at boot, it needs a ROM upgrade to run GS/OS.

Crashing to monitor is rather common with bad memory or a corrupt floppy, although the latter you can usually hear as the external 3.5" drive will make obvious re-seek noises. Run the built in self test, see if it passes. For testing the RAM card, this test is handy and doesn't require GS/OS: http://mmt.gwlink.net/

It passes the self-test with a System Good mention just fine, and it's a ROM 01. Forgot to mention that part. Yeah, when it goes to monitor the floppy stops seeking altogether, I'll have to try that test out.

Blog Entries

I have yet to figure out how to make a usable bootable disk from a *.shk file without a GS/OS running IIgs. Odd nobody made a utility to do this on a 68k mac (or have I just never run into one?). There are utilities to do this on a PC (read the SHK files).

Apple 1Mb RAM cards came with 256K soldered on board and 3 more banks of socketed RAM chips. If the card has bad ram it is repairable once you narrow down which chip it is.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

try holding shift on boot to avoid loading extra "stuff". See this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.apple2/system$20error$200308%7Csort:date/comp.sys.apple2/f1INiv7f_a8/WV38-6HEBwAJ

solution was to reload gsos

Larry G

Shift-booting doesn't work, instead of crashing while trying to load GS/OS the system just freezes about 7/8 into the progress bar.

wait a minute, do you only have a 5.25 drive? I don't think there is enough disk space to hold the full System 5.0.4 required to reach the Finder

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by retrogear View Post
    I don't think there is enough disk space to hold the full System 5.0.4 required to reach the Finder
    Definitely not. The Finder barely fits on a minimal 800K disk with the rest of the system files.

Oh no, I have one of each drive.