Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hi Y'all from Chattanooga, TN

Smile Hi Y'all from Chattanooga, TN

Hi there,

Just joined this forum and I hope I can provide some help - and also get some for my own projects - because everyone can use a helping hand, right?

About me ... well, I guess, I'm almost an oldtimer. Started "programming" on a Texas Instruments TI-57 when I was 14. A year later I was allowed to use a friend's Commodore PET-2001 which introduced me to BASIC and Assembler. At age 17 I washed a lot of cars to be able to place one of the first orders for a Sharp PC-1211 with a CE-121 cassette interface. Took another year and more car washing to also get the CE-122 printer.
    Had an Atari 800XL during my early days of college. Had operating jobs helping with day-to-day business of running IBM /370 and 3031 main frames.

These days I'm doing electronics design and software engineering. Arduino and Raspberry projects are one of my hobbies - well, I've built embedded systems for decades using whatever was available (6502, Z80, 8080, 8086, 68000,...)

Most of the electronics and computer systems I owned are still in my posession, I would not call it a "collection", but it's my personal history with computers:

• the 1977 TI-57 programmable calculator
    • the Sharp PC-1211 with CE-121 and CE-122 (and a replacement PC-1212 because the 1211's LCD died)
    • an Epson HX-20 with internal RF-20 RAM extension which was used as a navigation system (ex property of the German Luftwaffe)
    • a shelf full of "PC" stuff ranging from the 90's up to today

Looking forward to having some great conversations,

Markus.

Welcome Markus,

I'm in Chattanooga as well. I started on a TRS-80 Model I and I mostly have TRS-80/Tandy Systems. I do have other systems and interests, just trying to limit it some these days.

Malcom

I used to do a lot of 6502 programming. Not so much anymore. Still have a couple of 6502 systems, though: a SYM-1 and an OSI C2-OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyx View Post
    Welcome Markus,

I'm in Chattanooga as well. I started on a TRS-80 Model I and I mostly have TRS-80/Tandy Systems. I do have other systems and interests, just trying to limit it some these days.

Malcom
    Hi Malcom,

Hey that's cool that we are located in the same city. I remember the TRS-80 systems, although in my "younger" years I was a "6502" guy. Had to do a lot of Z80 programming though because of various jobs I had during my college time.

Take care,
    Markus

Quote Originally Posted by mediasponge View Post
    I used to do a lot of 6502 programming. Not so much anymore. Still have a couple of 6502 systems, though: a SYM-1 and an OSI C2-OEM.
    I remember the SYM-1 ... I had a KIM-1 before I "upgraded" to the Atari 800XL. The KIM-1 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIM-1 ) was kinda similar to the SYM-1.

It's nice to be able to chat with people who actually know what I'm talking about when it comes to the early days of "personal computing".

Markus.

Quote Originally Posted by Baer View Post
    I remember the SYM-1 ... I had a KIM-1 before I "upgraded" to the Atari 800XL. The KIM-1 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIM-1 ) was kinda similar to the SYM-1.

It's nice to be able to chat with people who actually know what I'm talking about when it comes to the early days of "personal computing".

Markus.
    The SYM-1 was a knockoff of the KIM-1, but it had more sockets and connectors for IO. I wrote an EPROM programmer program for it. At work, I wrote a memory bitmap program for it. All in 6502 assembly code. On the OSI, I wrote an OS overlay for a daisy wheel printer driver.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baer View Post
    Hi there,

Just joined this forum and I hope I can provide some help - and also get some for my own projects - because everyone can use a helping hand, right?

About me ... well, I guess, I'm almost an oldtimer. Started "programming" on a Texas Instruments TI-57 when I was 14. A year later I was allowed to use a friend's Commodore PET-2001 which introduced me to BASIC and Assembler. At age 17 I washed a lot of cars to be able to place one of the first orders for a Sharp PC-1211 with a CE-121 cassette interface. Took another year and more car washing to also get the CE-122 printer.
    Had an Atari 800XL during my early days of college. Had operating jobs helping with day-to-day business of running IBM /370 and 3031 main frames.

These days I'm doing electronics design and software engineering. Arduino and Raspberry projects are one of my hobbies - well, I've built embedded systems for decades using whatever was available (6502, Z80, 8080, 8086, 68000,...)

Most of the electronics and computer systems I owned are still in my posession, I would not call it a "collection", but it's my personal history with computers:

• the 1977 TI-57 programmable calculator
    • the Sharp PC-1211 with CE-121 and CE-122 (and a replacement PC-1212 because the 1211's LCD died)
    • an Epson HX-20 with internal RF-20 RAM extension which was used as a navigation system (ex property of the German Luftwaffe)
    • a shelf full of "PC" stuff ranging from the 90's up to today

Looking forward to having some great conversations,

Markus.
    Wecome from Australia. I am sure you have a lot of knowledge there and some interesting hardware

Hi inotarobot! I just joined yesterday but I am also from TN, about 15 mins south of Nashville.

Blog Entries

I'm in Redbank myself.

I've been slowing down on the collecting front lately, but I've got most of the Commodore 8 bits,
    some 8 bit Apples, Trs-80's, IBM 5150, some Tandy 1000's, and a random atari and ti computer.

So if you start needing boot disks or the like, feel free to message me.

Later,
    dabone