Image Map Image Map

Thread: Will trade IBM 3191 & Keyboard for IBM 3101 & Keyboard

Default Will trade IBM 3191 & Keyboard for IBM 3101 & Keyboard

I recently bought an IBM 3191 Terminal and F122 Keyboard off eBay, but I recently decided that I wanted to try to find an IBM terminal that could connect to my modern computer as a terminal without having to emulate a 3270 system and buy a controller unit. It seems the IBM 3101 is the only IBM terminal that supports serial communication, which I read can be used to connect to a linux machine and possibly Mac OS X. I am interested in trading my 3191 and keyboard for a 3101 and keyboard. I haven't tested the 3191 yet because it is at another location right now, but my guess is that it either doesn't work or needs to have it's capacitors replaced soon. Cosmetically, it and the keyboard look pretty good, and the keyboard is missing one key cap top (which was originally blank anyway). It is from the same guy that sold the 3191's to the people who started the recent threads in the "Mini's and Mainframes" genre on this forum. The 3101 doesn't need to be working, but I would prefer it to be theoretically repairable without the need of too much electrical/engineering experience. If anyone's interested, I can take pictures of the unit and keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by willmurray461 View Post
    It seems the IBM 3101 is the only IBM terminal that supports serial communication
    IBM made several generations of terminals after the 3101.
    A 3151 will be much easier to find.

I was aware of the other models in the 3101 line. I just aesthetically prefer the 3101 to the 3151/3161/etc. I saw a complete 3101 on eBay a while back, but I didn't buy it . I'm just hoping I'll find someone who has one to trade. I'm also willing to buy it from someone if they're not interested in trading.