Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IBM 5150 defiled...

I will admit, it looks pretty damn nice. the 8086 is a nice touch. I just hope a working machine wasn't gutted to do this.

at the end of the day, it is what it is. If people are happy then who am I to piss in their cereal? I have several, I don't need more, I just want an opportunity to get one of those monitor covers.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luckybob View Post
    If people are happy then who am I to piss in their cereal?
    Pretty much, but TBH it pisses me off more that they simply did a poor job at making it look authentic than the idea of them gutting a 5150.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Blog Entries

I never considered the 5150 to be very stylish. It seems to me that if you wanted to do something that made an artistic statement, you'd be better off with one of these

Mass-produced PCs are just damned ugly, IMOHO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I never considered the 5150 to be very stylish. It seems to me that if you wanted to do something that made an artistic statement, you'd be better off with one of these

Mass-produced PCs are just damned ugly, IMOHO.
    Kids are lazy. You can get away with using "retro wood PC case" by being LGR and slapping vinyl on the sides.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    A very nice piece of creativity. That setup would look good in anyone's den. For you purists out there, not much different than cramming a LS7 into a 32 Ford. I'm wondering what the cost was or did I miss something.
    Also, noticed he was getting 5 gig on that ASRock Fatal1ty mobo.
    I thought the same thing when I saw it.... however on reflection I think it's more like cramming an LS7 into a GM product.

To get the full GM into Ford effect someone should put a modern x86 system into something with a different architecture all together. A Macintosh II case is probably big enough.......
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!