Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5150 defiled...

Default IBM 5150 defiled...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5bNkHCCIgk

I mean, that monitor cover, is SWEET. I'd order one in a heartbeat. But I'm really having mixed feelings about the chassis mod.

It's not exactly a RARE system. (looks over at the 7 I own) But I still feel dirty for having watched this defilement.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

THE FLOPPY DRIVES ARE UPSIDE-DOWN!

what a maroon..

Blog Entries

It's a high quality mod of the chassis, but there are some odd things about it, almost as if it was made my someone who has only even seen a picture or two of the 5150.

The fo-floppy drives are in upside down, and are half height. 2 full height drives would have been much better. The power switch on the back is cool, but why the heck did they not put it in the place it was originally, instead of covering that hole with a sticker. that would have been much better, and then they could have put the actualy ATX on switch on the right corner. You'd have to reach over and hit it, just like you would have on the original 5150.

I do like the fact that they used an 8086K proc, even though the 5150 was an 8088 proc originally, but I consider that one close enough.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    what a maroon..
    Linus is BC's tech comedy gem.
    He has another video where he hit up FreeGeek and repurposed a Morrow computer.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Wrong keyboard, too.

When they build a sleeper inside a Commie 64 or a CoCo, I'll be interested. Hell even a Pet.

Blog Entries

A very nice piece of creativity. That setup would look good in anyone's den. For you purists out there, not much different than cramming a LS7 into a 32 Ford. I'm wondering what the cost was or did I miss something.
    Also, noticed he was getting 5 gig on that ASRock Fatal1ty mobo.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Linus may now be dead to me.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Are there blue LEDs inside that case? If so then BURN IT WITH FIRE!

That thing is cool as shit. But I wish they'd put the floppy faces right-side up and the power switch in the right place. SO close.

I'm willing to bet surviving cases are a bit more common than still-working original motherboards. May as well use 'em.

I was thinking to do something similar with the empty (knockoff) XT case I have (using my free AM2 SLI board ), but don't have the skills & tools to make the necessary metalwork look nice.