Image Map Image Map

Thread: Does an external scsi drive dock with usb to computer exist?

Default Does an external scsi drive dock with usb to computer exist?

I've been unsuccessful in my poking around looking for some external enclosure that will accept a scsi disk, and connect to a computer via usb.

Anyone know if such an animal exists? I have a few old loose scsi disks that I'd like to see what their content is.

☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

i don't have exactly what you're looking for, but I do have the following:

• Toshiba SCSI External CD-ROM
    • Model TXM3401E1
    • Mfg - Aug 1994
    • 50-pin SCSI cable
    • A/C power cord
    • Preset SCSI ID = 3

Case has on/off switch, 2 ea. 50-pin SCSI connectors, L/R RCA audio out jacks, front panel earphone jack w/audio adjust.

Does it work? Dunno. Came with some stuff awhile back and I no longer have a SCSI system up and running. Looks pretty good, standard PC putty color, and probably had an easy life somewhere - no scratches, scuff, or dings visible. You would still need a USB adapter or a SCSI adapter card.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Oddly I saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfN5ZYlJNTg

and found this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283199837547

so I think the answer is. "it can be done" but not ready to roll...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

I have a USB to SCSI dongle that I use with my SGI DAT drive for audio extraction, but the USB to SCSI stuff is relatively expensive, and you have to provide a case, too. Since I'm using CentOS 7 Linux, drivers aren't a big issue, but finding drivers for modern Windows might be difficult for these old USB SCSI dongles.

What are far more plentiful, and maybe less expensive, are IEEE-1394 (Firewire) SCSI enclosures, typically used with Macs. You just need a Firewire card or a laptop (like mine) with a Firewire port. I've successfully looked at several SCSI drives over the years using a cast-off Exabyte-compatible Firewire 8mm tape drive enclosure, with the SCSI-interfaced tape drive removed. Firewire, as far as I know, is still well-supported on modern Windows.
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

Thank you Stone and everyone. I think I need more practice on ebay search terms