Image Map Image Map

Thread: Do not watch the haunting of hill house before bed

Blog Entries

Default Do not watch the haunting of hill house before bed

A Halloween post.

I threw this show on for myself and the wife last night on Netflix for our pre-sleep TV watching. Big mistake.

I figured it'd be like any other 'horror' TV show, like Bates Motel or anything Stephen King has had (poorly) adapted to the screen. You know.. disturbing, but not jump-out-of-your-socks scary. I've not found a single SK adaptation scary (except the Shining, which was a little creepy). I'm not generally prone to being jolted by anything purporting to be horror generally. So I thought I'd weather this easily.

Nope.

This is genuinely disturbing, scary s---. The build ups to each scare are painstaking and agonizing. You practically beg for it to be over with. There's not a lot of over the top CGI - the scary stuff achieves scariness by *being* scary rather than exaggerated visuals. The worst scare of the first episode is right at the end, and all it is is a slightly greyish female face being contorted slightly into a half-second demonic scream. If they ever make a VR version of this I will not watch it. I don't think my ticker would handle it.

This show makes the Blair Witch Project look like a Mr. Rogers episode. I love (and hate) it.

Regrettably scanning reviews I've heard the final episode in the season (Good God.. could there be *more than one season of this*??) is a let down. But wow. That first episode. Yeah. For the first time at least 30 years, I found myself trying to stay awake and/or begging my brain not to torture me with nightmares. Especially anything resembling NellZombie screaming at the end.

My wife refuses to watch the rest, which is just as well. I think I'm going to save the rest for my next flight. I'm terrified of airplanes. This will definitely take my mind off that.

Well done. Well, well done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    A Halloween post.

I threw this show on for myself and the wife last night on Netflix for our pre-sleep TV watching. Big mistake.

I figured it'd be like any other 'horror' TV show, like Bates Motel or anything Stephen King has had (poorly) adapted to the screen. You know.. disturbing, but not jump-out-of-your-socks scary. I've not found a single SK adaptation scary (except the Shining, which was a little creepy). I'm not generally prone to being jolted by anything purporting to be horror generally. So I thought I'd weather this easily.

Nope.

This is genuinely disturbing, scary s---. The build ups to each scare are painstaking and agonizing. You practically beg for it to be over with. There's not a lot of over the top CGI - the scary stuff achieves scariness by *being* scary rather than exaggerated visuals. The worst scare of the first episode is right at the end, and all it is is a slightly greyish female face being contorted slightly into a half-second demonic scream. If they ever make a VR version of this I will not watch it. I don't think my ticker would handle it.

This show makes the Blair Witch Project look like a Mr. Rogers episode. I love (and hate) it.

Regrettably scanning reviews I've heard the final episode in the season (Good God.. could there be *more than one season of this*??) is a let down. But wow. That first episode. Yeah. For the first time at least 30 years, I found myself trying to stay awake and/or begging my brain not to torture me with nightmares. Especially anything resembling NellZombie screaming at the end.

My wife refuses to watch the rest, which is just as well. I think I'm going to save the rest for my next flight. I'm terrified of airplanes. This will definitely take my mind off that.

Well done. Well, well done.
    I hadn't made my mind up whether or not to watch it, however with your synopsis I'm probably hooked. I don't think my wife would last through the credits as it took it her over 20 years just to get through Halloween. As far as airplanes go, they don't scare me a bit; it's being more than 5 or 10 feet off the ground that worries me.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

People's brains allow for the supernatural I guess. I don't watch freaky movies. The freakiest I ever saw I imagine was the original dotd. So depressing. I found it somewhat disturbing, but got over it in a day I think. I never saw the exorcist, the first few minutes of e2 and I called it quits (I was 12 maybe).

Fragile minds can be damaged by horror media make no mistake about it. I know a lady who began manifesting actual clinical ocd symptoms after watching people being beheaded in some movie when she was 11 or 12. And suffers from the disorder to this day. I once tried to council a guy, online, who wanted to commit suicide due to depression. He started suffering from it when he was 12. He was an avid listener of death metal. I asked when he started listening, he said 11.

Blog Entries

I actually stopped watching shows like Criminal Minds partly for similar reasons (and partly because Criminal Minds is totally unrealistic). I also stopped midway with Breaking Bad, etc. I find shows with a negative vibe put me off now in a way they didn't when I was younger. Almost messes with your head a little. So I stopped.

But around Halloween I don't mind a good supernatural thriller. In a world where we think we know everything, it's fun to trigger ancient superstitions and reflexes.