Image Map Image Map

Thread: Lotus 1-2-3 on 5.25 Floppy

Default Lotus 1-2-3 on 5.25 Floppy

Hi Everyone,

I'm kind of a packrat, so I get frustrated when I can't find something I put away.

Case in point is a 5-1/4" floppy for Lotus 1-2-3. (I believe it is version 2.2.) I have the manual/binder which also has the tutorial disc and the graph program disc; but, I don't have the main floppy.

I upgraded several times and I do have Lotus 1-2-3 on 3-1/2" floppy.

What I vaguely remember with some early program versions was that a customer would have to mail the original program disc to the software company in order to upgrade. I don't recall if that was the case with Lotus. Does anyone remember that far back?

Thanks,

Jeff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff2016 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm kind of a packrat, so I get frustrated when I can't find something I put away.

Case in point is a 5-1/4" floppy for Lotus 1-2-3. (I believe it is version 2.2.) I have the manual/binder which also has the tutorial disc and the graph program disc; but, I don't have the main floppy.

I upgraded several times and I do have Lotus 1-2-3 on 3-1/2" floppy.

What I vaguely remember with some early program versions was that a customer would have to mail the original program disc to the software company in order to upgrade. I don't recall if that was the case with Lotus. Does anyone remember that far back?

Thanks,

Jeff
    I have it installed but don't remember having to send the disk(s) in for upgrades. Try copying the 3.5 disk to the 5.25 disk and see what happens.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

The April 9, 1990 InfoWorld has a Lotus ad showing that it is necessary to turn in a 1-2-3 System Disk to get upgrade pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I have it installed but don't remember having to send the disk(s) in for upgrades. Try copying the 3.5 disk to the 5.25 disk and see what happens.
    I think the point of his post was not being able to run it from the 5" disk but being able to determine where the 5" is at this point. IOW, whether he still has it or not.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I think the point of his post was not being able to run it from the 5" disk but being able to determine where the 5" is at this point. IOW, whether he still has it or not.
    I doubt that either of us are going to be much help in determining​ where is 5.25 is.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Versions of 1-2-3 early on were copy-protected. I recall that when IBM demoed their new PS/2, they naturally included 1-2-3, but at the time they couldn't obtain echt 3.5" copies from Lotus, so they used one of the anti-copy-protection programs to get it onto 3.5". I recall an embarrassing question being asked at the presser about that...

Hi Stone,

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. That was my point.

I have the manual and the other two 5-1/4 floppies; but, not the program disk.

I am going to be putting the 5150 up for sale, and I was considering including the software, too. When I went to load Lotus to make sure it worked, I discovered there is no disk for the program. My first thought was that I must have stored it somewhere else. Then I remembered that it may have been needed for the upgrade.

Not a big deal either way... just a test of my memory, I suppose.

Take Care,

Jeff

Hi Krebizfan,

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    The April 9, 1990 InfoWorld has a Lotus ad showing that it is necessary to turn in a 1-2-3 System Disk to get upgrade pricing.
    Thanks for providing that information.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff2016 View Post
    Not a big deal either way... just a test of my memory, I suppose.
    FWIW, when I want to test my memory I like to use memtest86+.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen