Image Map Image Map

Thread: SCSI2SD and VMS 6.0

Default SCSI2SD and VMS 6.0

Hi,

I have a MicroVAX 3100-90 happily running the OpenVMS 7.3 hobbyist kits on a SCSI2SD. There are also some DDS tapes I have of an old VMS 6.0 install this machine used to run. I have successfully imaged these tapes and restored them to the original RZ26 (system) and 2 RZ25 (user) drives. Using a 2nd SD card for my SCSI2SD, I wanted to run the VMS 6.0 install so I could easily swap between it and my main 7.3 environment. However, when I tried this, the save sets restored fine and I can see all the files but VMS will not start booting after it prompts for the date. Instead it sticks at "%SYSTEM-I-MOUNTVER, AYIMS3$DKA400: is offline. Mount verification in progress." indefinitely. DKA400 is the system disk with the VMS install and the user disks are DKA0 and DKA300 as they were on the original drives.

Has anyone successfully managed to run VMS 6.0 from a SCSI2SD before? I tried setting the device vendor, type and serial numbers to match the original drives in the SCSI2SD utility program but this made no difference at all sadly.

Thanks,

Chris

Blog Entries

Enable "Device Attention" ?
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by crivett95 View Post
    Hi,

I have a MicroVAX 3100-90 happily running the OpenVMS 7.3 hobbyist kits on a SCSI2SD. There are also some DDS tapes I have of an old VMS 6.0 install this machine used to run. I have successfully imaged these tapes and restored them to the original RZ26 (system) and 2 RZ25 (user) drives. Using a 2nd SD card for my SCSI2SD, I wanted to run the VMS 6.0 install so I could easily swap between it and my main 7.3 environment. However, when I tried this, the save sets restored fine and I can see all the files but VMS will not start booting after it prompts for the date. Instead it sticks at "%SYSTEM-I-MOUNTVER, AYIMS3$DKA400: is offline. Mount verification in progress." indefinitely. DKA400 is the system disk with the VMS install and the user disks are DKA0 and DKA300 as they were on the original drives.

Has anyone successfully managed to run VMS 6.0 from a SCSI2SD before? I tried setting the device vendor, type and serial numbers to match the original drives in the SCSI2SD utility program but this made no difference at all sadly.

Thanks,

Chris
    I haven't run VMS6.0, but I do run VMS 5.5-2 and 7.3 on the same model with a V5 SCSI2SD, so I don't believe there is any reason why it should not work.

I would check to make sure you have good power to the SCSI2SD. I've not always been successful just using tapped terminator power. The other bit is that DEC was pretty picky about what drives would work under VMS 5.5 and some of this applies to VMS 6.x as well. If your drive didn't have the correct scsimode bits for error recovery set it would not be recognized. I worked with Mike McMaster to sort this out, but we never tired VMS 6.x

see https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp...w/zKLFo0SArjEJ

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by crivett95 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,
    I have a MicroVAX 3100-80 and a VAXstation 4000-90A that run VMS V6.2 AND VMS V6.1 respectively, each with a pair of SCSI2SD cards with no issues.

Before booting what do you see at a

>>> SHOW SCSI

command?

Best,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Enable "Device Attention" ?
    I have enabled "Unit Attention" on the SCSI2SD which I believe is the same thing? Not too sure but it unfortunately hasn't made any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by wa2flq View Post
    I haven't run VMS6.0, but I do run VMS 5.5-2 and 7.3 on the same model with a V5 SCSI2SD, so I don't believe there is any reason why it should not work.

I would check to make sure you have good power to the SCSI2SD. I've not always been successful just using tapped terminator power. The other bit is that DEC was pretty picky about what drives would work under VMS 5.5 and some of this applies to VMS 6.x as well. If your drive didn't have the correct scsimode bits for error recovery set it would not be recognized. I worked with Mike McMaster to sort this out, but we never tired VMS 6.x

see https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp...w/zKLFo0SArjEJ

Jerry
    I have power going to the SCSI2SD through one of the molex connectors from the power supply so it seems good there. How would I know if I have the correct scsimode bits? I have also applied all the latest patches to the VMS 6.0 install while it was running from the original drive before cloning it over to the SCSI2SD again. This hasn't made any difference sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
    Chris,
    I have a MicroVAX 3100-80 and a VAXstation 4000-90A that run VMS V6.2 AND VMS V6.1 respectively, each with a pair of SCSI2SD cards with no issues.

Before booting what do you see at a

>>> SHOW SCSI

command?

Best,
    Mark
    When I run "SHOW SCSI" I get the following:

SCSI Adapter A, SCSI ID 6
    -DKA0 (DEC RZ25)
    -DKA200 (codesrc SCSI2SD)
    -DKA300 (DEC RZ25)
    -DKA400 (DEC RZ26)
    -DKA500 (DEC RRD43)
    -MKA700 (DEC TZ30)
    >>>

The machine has an RRD43 CD-ROM and TZ30 Tape Drive in it and the RZ drives are all SCSI2SD drives with their vendor and types set to match the old drives. DKA200 is just the leftover space on the SD card as it is a 32GB card split into four equal parts of roughly 7gb. I have also tried matching the capacity of the original drives but this didn't help either. Not sure if I had the vendor and type set to match the original drives when I did that though, although I did initially when I used a 4gb card with my 7.3 install.

Not sure if it helps much with figuring out whats wrong, but when I have this config in place but with the real RZ26 (DKA400) system HDD connected and the emulated DKA400 disabled, VMS 6.0 will boot fine and use the emulated user disks no problem.

Deleted. Moved to new thread.
    Last edited by reinhardtjh; October 22nd, 2018 at 12:06 PM.

Do you have this patch (or one that supersedes it) installed?

1 KIT NAME:

VAXSCSI03_061

2 KIT DESCRIPTION:

2.1 Version(s) of OpenVMS to which this kit may be applied:

OpenVMS VAX V5.5-2, V5.5-2H4, V6.0, V6.1

. . .

5 PROBLEMS ADDRESSED IN VAXSCSI02_061 KIT FOR OPENVMS VAX V5.5-2,
    V5.5-2H4, V6.0, V6.1

o Some devices reply to Inquiry commands with the response data
    format field set to SCSI-1 ( as opposed to CCS or SCSI-2 ).
    These devices end up being marked offline.

Also, what version and firmware of SCSI2SD do you have? I've had trouble with the V6 cards that I haven't had the time to sort out either...

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by wa2flq View Post
    Do you have this patch (or one that supersedes it) installed?

1 KIT NAME:

VAXSCSI03_061

2 KIT DESCRIPTION:

2.1 Version(s) of OpenVMS to which this kit may be applied:

OpenVMS VAX V5.5-2, V5.5-2H4, V6.0, V6.1

. . .

5 PROBLEMS ADDRESSED IN VAXSCSI02_061 KIT FOR OPENVMS VAX V5.5-2,
    V5.5-2H4, V6.0, V6.1

o Some devices reply to Inquiry commands with the response data
    format field set to SCSI-1 ( as opposed to CCS or SCSI-2 ).
    These devices end up being marked offline.

Also, what version and firmware of SCSI2SD do you have? I've had trouble with the V6 cards that I haven't had the time to sort out either...

Jerry
    I think I must've missed this patch when I installed the patches on my VMS 6.0 install originally. I applied it to the booting copy on the original RZ26 drive and cloned it over to the SCSI2SD last night. Unfortunately no luck, just the same endless mount verification

It is a SCSI2SD v5.0 board I have and it is on the 4.8 firmware I believe as I updated it a couple months back (although I see 4.8.1 is available now).

Another interesting thing I noticed is I was incorrect when I said both user disks on the SCSI2SD were seen by the VMS 6.0 install when booted off the original RZ26. Only the first user disk (DKA0) was picked up correctly and when attempting to mount DKA300 (the 2nd user disk), it gives a fatal drive error. Both of these mount correctly when booted into the VMS 7.3 install I use for imaging to the SCSI2SD.