Image Map Image Map

Thread: Exidy Sorcerer "Switch rompac..." problem running basic programs from floppy drive

Default Exidy Sorcerer "Switch rompac..." problem running basic programs from floppy drive

I have an Exidy Sorcerer with an S100 unit, a Morrow Disk Jockey 2D/B controller card http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/M...s%20Manual.pdf and 2 X 8 inch floppy drives.

When I try to load and run a basic program from floppy, the machine says "Switch Rompac..."

I'm presuming this means it wants the basic rompac to be inserted to be able to run basic program.

The problem is that I don't seem to be able to make the S100/disk drives boot with the rompac inserted.

With the basic rompac inserted, I type bye to exit from basic to the monitor, then type "go d000" to boot from floppy but nothing happens.

Remove the basic rompac and type "go d000" and it boots fine from the floppy disk.

So I'm guessing there is some sort of conflict between the disk controller and the basic rompac maybe.

My first instinct was to see if the floppy controller's ROM could be relocated and indeed the manual above says it can be, but to do so you need to burn a new eprom which I can't do firstly because I don't know how but secondly because I have no eprom burner. I'm hoping to find a non-eprom-burning solution if I can.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I might be able to run basic programs from floppy in this situation?

thanks

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by flibbledeedo View Post
    I have an Exidy Sorcerer with an S100 unit, a Morrow Disk Jockey 2D/B controller card http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/M...s%20Manual.pdf and 2 X 8 inch floppy drives.

When I try to load and run a basic program from floppy, the machine says "Switch Rompac..."

I'm presuming this means it wants the basic rompac to be inserted to be able to run basic program.

The problem is that I don't seem to be able to make the S100/disk drives boot with the rompac inserted.

With the basic rompac inserted, I type bye to exit from basic to the monitor, then type "go d000" to boot from floppy but nothing happens.

Remove the basic rompac and type "go d000" and it boots fine from the floppy disk.

So I'm guessing there is some sort of conflict between the disk controller and the basic rompac maybe.

My first instinct was to see if the floppy controller's ROM could be relocated and indeed the manual above says it can be, but to do so you need to burn a new eprom which I can't do firstly because I don't know how but secondly because I have no eprom burner. I'm hoping to find a non-eprom-burning solution if I can.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I might be able to run basic programs from floppy in this situation?

thanks

Andrew
    Hi Andrew,
    I think it would give potential helpers more context if rather than being in a new thread this question was in this thread where Leslie partly disassembled your DDMON (presumably Disk Disk Monitor) to understand how it works and interacts with the ROMPAC. http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...757#post536757

Do you have only one BASIC ROMPAC? Maybe your monitor anticipates a modified one that you can switch on and off?
    [I know someone who has a ROMPAC populated with 2732's so it is two ROMPAC's in one (BASIC and WP) plus an OFF position]
    Could you save a copy of the BASIC program to 'tape' then run your machine as a cassette system?
    Maybe your are supposed to this program against a BASIC on one of your floppies rather than the ROMPAC BASIC?
    Anyways seems like you're getting tantalisingly close