Image Map Image Map

Thread: Exidy Sorcerer - switch on basic rompac

Default Exidy Sorcerer - switch on basic rompac

Hi folks,

I have two basic rompacs. One does not have a switch (and does not seem to work).

The other basic rompac has a little metal switch fitted to the side of it. Flicked in one direction, basic comes up when the machine is started. Flicked in the other direction, basic does not start - it just drops straight into the monitor.

Anyone got any guesses as to what this switch might be for?

thanks

Andrew

Can you open the cart and take a photo?. We can easily see what's going on with that switch...

I can only think on two possible uses: enable/disable ROM or ROM banking.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbledeedo
    Anyone got any guesses as to what this switch might be for?

Yep, the 4 BASIC ROMs have been swapped for bigger ones so only 2 are needed, the other 2 spaces are taken up with something else which may have failed. The switch selects one pair or the other.
    www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - UK home computer history
    Where RIFA capacitors come to die
    facebook.com/binarydinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy View Post
    Yep, the 4 BASIC ROMs have been swapped for bigger ones so only 2 are needed, the other 2 spaces are taken up with something else which may have failed. The switch selects one pair or the other. [/COLOR]
    Could be. Could also just be an on/off switch so that you don't have to remove the pac if you want to boot straight into the monitor. My basic pac has a switch for that purpose.