Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quadra 950 info needed - Any old skool graphic designers out there?

Is this a one-time, one-shot restoration of data? If so, why buy the hardware and software? I'd immediately contact the admins of this very forum and see if they know of anyone who can provide the necessary services for the restoration. Even if you did successfully get all the hardware and software, and even successfully read the tapes, what is your plan on getting the data onto modern media? Like a DVD-writable? These computers didn't come with optical storage other than the 3.5-inch floppy drive, and even that can work against you because of the potential megabytes of data stored on those tapes.

If however you have some other motive, such as building a replica system for historical value, then that's another thing. But still you have the problem with getting the data onto modern media, which any reputable data restoration company can do for you.

It has been said that the best accessory for a Macintosh is a Power PC. I would pursue using that to access the tapes and the files stored on them. Most software that runs on the Power PC (With an OS before OS X, at least) can read files created in older versions of their product, so if you found a version of Photoshop that runs on your PPC I'm pretty sure it would open an older file.

I have Mac SEs and a Quadra 650: I use a G3 as a bridge between these and a Win7 machine which can access the Internet at high speed and can write ISOs and ZIP disks. The G3 can write to a floppy that has been formatted on the Quadra or the SE, which can of course read its own handwriting. PC to G3 to SE. QED.

-CH-

Quote Originally Posted by groink View Post
    what is your plan on getting the data onto modern media? Like a DVD-writable? These computers didn't come with optical storage other than the 3.5-inch floppy drive, and even that can work against you because of the potential megabytes of data stored on those tapes.
    The Quadra 950 had an optional internal CD-ROM drive lol.

SCSI CD-ROM burners were available during the 68k Mac era and has software to burn CDs available on MacOS 7. They were super expensive at the time, but people were used to paying eye watering prices for Apple gear.

Is this a one-time, one-shot restoration of data? If so, why buy the hardware and software? I'd immediately contact the admins of this very forum and see if they know of anyone who can provide the necessary services for the restoration. Even if you did successfully get all the hardware and software, and even successfully read the tapes, what is your plan on getting the data onto modern media?
    Ethernet.

Blog Entries

db=15 to vga adaptar configured for multisync or vga (dip switches in the adapter) will work on almost any vga monitor even LED ones.

The quadra 950 was my first mac and i owned it when it was already vintage, the best way i found to install software was using an scsi card on a pc and hard disk then from basilisk you can choose a fisical disk and install mac os from the emulator.
    And you don't have to worry about boot floppys (that can only be writes in a working mac using a old floppy drive). Then you just remove the drive from the pc and install it on the quadra.

Then if you get a mini aui to ethernet module you can network the quadra and copy new software this way.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    The Quadra 950 had an optional internal CD-ROM drive lol.

SCSI CD-ROM burners were available during the 68k Mac era and has software to burn CDs available on MacOS 7. They were super expensive at the time, but people were used to paying eye watering prices for Apple gear.
    Hi, I have some 45-rpm records from the 1950s. Do you have a 1950s-era record player so I can play these records????? LOL!

Hi, I have some 45-rpm records from the 1950s. Do you have a 1950s-era record player so I can play these records????? LOL!
    What are you even talking about? Did you have a stroke or something, are you ok? Might want to see a doctor.