Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Quadra 950 info needed - Any old skool graphic designers out there?

  1. #11

    Default

    Is this a one-time, one-shot restoration of data? If so, why buy the hardware and software? I'd immediately contact the admins of this very forum and see if they know of anyone who can provide the necessary services for the restoration. Even if you did successfully get all the hardware and software, and even successfully read the tapes, what is your plan on getting the data onto modern media? Like a DVD-writable? These computers didn't come with optical storage other than the 3.5-inch floppy drive, and even that can work against you because of the potential megabytes of data stored on those tapes.

    If however you have some other motive, such as building a replica system for historical value, then that's another thing. But still you have the problem with getting the data onto modern media, which any reputable data restoration company can do for you.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, OH, USA
    Posts
    740

    Default

    It has been said that the best accessory for a Macintosh is a Power PC. I would pursue using that to access the tapes and the files stored on them. Most software that runs on the Power PC (With an OS before OS X, at least) can read files created in older versions of their product, so if you found a version of Photoshop that runs on your PPC I'm pretty sure it would open an older file.

    I have Mac SEs and a Quadra 650: I use a G3 as a bridge between these and a Win7 machine which can access the Internet at high speed and can write ISOs and ZIP disks. The G3 can write to a floppy that has been formatted on the Quadra or the SE, which can of course read its own handwriting. PC to G3 to SE. QED.

    -CH-

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by groink View Post
    what is your plan on getting the data onto modern media? Like a DVD-writable? These computers didn't come with optical storage other than the 3.5-inch floppy drive, and even that can work against you because of the potential megabytes of data stored on those tapes.
    The Quadra 950 had an optional internal CD-ROM drive lol.

    SCSI CD-ROM burners were available during the 68k Mac era and has software to burn CDs available on MacOS 7. They were super expensive at the time, but people were used to paying eye watering prices for Apple gear.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by groink View Post
    Is this a one-time, one-shot restoration of data? If so, why buy the hardware and software? I'd immediately contact the admins of this very forum and see if they know of anyone who can provide the necessary services for the restoration. Even if you did successfully get all the hardware and software, and even successfully read the tapes, what is your plan on getting the data onto modern media?
    Ethernet.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Posts
    300
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    db=15 to vga adaptar configured for multisync or vga (dip switches in the adapter) will work on almost any vga monitor even LED ones.

    The quadra 950 was my first mac and i owned it when it was already vintage, the best way i found to install software was using an scsi card on a pc and hard disk then from basilisk you can choose a fisical disk and install mac os from the emulator.
    And you don't have to worry about boot floppys (that can only be writes in a working mac using a old floppy drive). Then you just remove the drive from the pc and install it on the quadra.

    Then if you get a mini aui to ethernet module you can network the quadra and copy new software this way.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    The Quadra 950 had an optional internal CD-ROM drive lol.

    SCSI CD-ROM burners were available during the 68k Mac era and has software to burn CDs available on MacOS 7. They were super expensive at the time, but people were used to paying eye watering prices for Apple gear.
    Hi, I have some 45-rpm records from the 1950s. Do you have a 1950s-era record player so I can play these records????? LOL!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by groink View Post
    Hi, I have some 45-rpm records from the 1950s. Do you have a 1950s-era record player so I can play these records????? LOL!
    What are you even talking about? Did you have a stroke or something, are you ok? Might want to see a doctor.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •