Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Socket 5/7 problem

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Well, that's exceeding Intel's spec, so take that for what it's worth. I do have a couple of P3 non-440 around here that run 133 FSB, but they're rated to do so. One ridiculous one is an 820 board, complete with slot 1 CPU and 1 GB RDRAM. I keep it around because it's got a really good FDC onboard. Has a couple of ISA slots, too, but ISA DMA doesn't work right. The other, I think is a VIA chipset with Socket 370 CPU and not particularly noteworthy.

Right after the P4 era, I converted to AMD and haven't looked back since.
    I do not think the 820 supports DMA over isa. I recall the 815 being the same way. But yes anything over 100mhz fsb is out of spec for a 440 chip set and you do run the risk of limited stability even if the motherboard manufacturers says it can do 133mhz fsb.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Blog Entries

The 820 uses the NSC ISA bridge chip, so I don't know the specifics of the implementation. However, it would seem to me that if a chipset supports a floppy controller and EPP, that ISA DMA support would almost be a given--unless you were dealing with a group (and Intel is full of these) who says "nobody uses ISA anymore". I got pretty much the same statement when I contacted them about their 82077AA-1 FDC chip screwing up FM support. "Nobody uses FM anymore"--the original 82077 supported it fine.