Image Map Image Map

Thread: Trying to figure out what card to choose for my k6-2, can't find accurate benchmarks

Default Trying to figure out what card to choose for my k6-2, can't find accurate benchmarks

I have two old cards to use for my K6-2 500 Windows 95 gaming system. Boy, this thing runs like a dream when you put this earlier OS on it! Feels like Win98 on a Tualatin processor! My first ever system using the K6 patch! Both cards I have are PCI, as my Presario motherboard can't use AGP. I have a 32MB vram Geforce2 MX200 and a plain 16MB vram Rage 128. Benchmarks I find are describing the higher end Rage 128 Pro and AGP versions, 32MB each. I'd imagine that because my Geforce2 MX has double the framebuffer vram, it will be faster than my Rage 128, but by how much? On the other hand the Geforce2 might not have as good texture support. I'm upgrading from my onboard SiS 530 graphics with 8MB framebuffer vram. How much of a performance upgrade will I receive if I chose whichever is the stronger card out of the two? Thanks.
    Last edited by computerdude92; October 23rd, 2018 at 02:15 AM.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

If you have the cards already just give them a shot in the system and see witch one it best.
    Ether card will be a major step above the sis card. But the GF2 would be the better idea.

But if it were me Id use the rage, but I play a few older games that need a older card. Games like resident evil 2.
    Last edited by Mr. Horse; October 23rd, 2018 at 07:25 PM.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

LOL, so my onboard graphics only support DirectX 6 and are generally poor performing in 3D... What were they thinking for a PC made in 1999-2000? Well, then again, it's designed as an office PC, so they can skimp on the graphics and use these outdated underperformers.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    LOL, so my onboard graphics only support DirectX 6 and are generally poor performing in 3D... What were they thinking for a PC made in 1999-2000? Well, then again, it's designed as an office PC, so they can skimp on the graphics and use these outdated underperformers.
    Back in the 90s older chips set were often used in place of low end counterparts and DX6 came out in August of 1998 and 6.1 in 99. the voodoo5500 was a dx6.1 card and it was new in 2000. The rage card you have is a DX6 card too. For a card to be dx7 supported you needed t&l and DX8 required vertex shader if I recall. Both of witch were not all to much used at the time.
    Last edited by Mr. Horse; October 24th, 2018 at 07:35 AM.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.