Image Map Image Map

Thread: How can I remove mud from inside a C64C?

Default How can I remove mud from inside a C64C?

I recovered some retro computers from a workshop attic a while ago, including one or two C64Cs and a 1541-II. The main problem is that mud daubers made their way into pretty much anything with vent holes and built nests inside. These nests are made mostly of mud, and I was wondering what the most effective way to clean them would be while minimising potential damage.

Quote Originally Posted by grandta13 View Post
    I recovered some retro computers from a workshop attic a while ago, including one or two C64Cs and a 1541-II. The main problem is that mud daubers made their way into pretty much anything with vent holes and built nests inside. These nests are made mostly of mud, and I was wondering what the most effective way to clean them would be while minimising potential damage.
    You can wash the electronics in fresh water (then a bath in distilled water would be good, but not essential) and brush the mud away with a soft brush. You have to dry carefully the printed circuit boards before attempting to power them on. You can bake them at 60 degrees Celsius for 5-6 hours or let them dry in the sunlight for a day or two.
    I've successfully recovered all sort of electronic equipment left outside in the fields for years, with all sort of nests inside (expecially spiders and wasps) by carefully washing all parts and carefully drying them.
    You may find rusted and corroded parts after you clean all the mud and dirt, and those usually need to be replaced before a power-on attempt.
    HTH
    Frank IZ8DWF

Add some soap

I rinse boards under the tap all the time to remove water soluble flux from them and then dry them with compressed air. Some components (like in my case, piezo sounders) need to have a sticker on them to keep water from getting into them, but most components tolerate water cleaning just fine.

While I don't do it myself some have successfully washed boards in the dishwasher. See Perifractic's Retro Recipes on YouTube as he has cleaned some nasty boards.

Sink washing is fine too. Some people prefer to take out all the socketed chips first and some also rinse the board afterword with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
    While I don't do it myself some have successfully washed boards in the dishwasher. See Perifractic's Retro Recipes on YouTube as he has cleaned some nasty boards.

Sink washing is fine too. Some people prefer to take out all the socketed chips first and some also rinse the board afterword with Isopropyl Alcohol.
    I haven't done this either, but have heard of good results. Personally if I were going this route I wouldn't use ordinary dishwasher detergent, as it can be pretty caustic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
    While I don't do it myself some have successfully washed boards in the dishwasher.
    I did that very often and mentioned that in another post. It only went wrong one time with a modern board with QFP ICs. From that time on I only put boards equipped with DIL IC/sockets in the dishwasher. Including several C64 boards. Just make sure that they are really dry when powering them up again!
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org