Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M847 extended edition > Bootloader in PDP style !

A little update! I've got the new boards and they work flawlessly in my PDP8/m.
    Project files on Github

A demo again: https://youtu.be/xYt5kZuUb3A

Added in the new board:
    - DB9 and BC01V RS232 port for easy loading new firmware into the board.
    - Push button on the board to select the program as well. (if you don't want to stress your SW switch)
    - Put text next to the dip switches for default octal program number
    - Put IC model numbers in front of the IC sockets.
    - Added a serial eeprom, just in case. I had the space but it's not needed and not implemented yet.

Added in software:
    - A lot But for the outside world the major update is the program number view in the address register.

To do in software:
    - clean up the code, there is a lot of debugging data on the RS232 output at the moment.
    - speed up the code, there are a few delays in it which can go out. However, it does give the nice blinking effect

- Add more bootload and test programs. So if people have any ideas...

You can use the ICSP port from an Arduino to flash in the bootloader into the board.
    Or you can just buy an Atmega328 with a bootloader in it already.

Putting in the program from the Arduino IDE is very simple now. Just use a RS232 cross
    cable between the DB9 port or use a DEC BC01V cable. (Make sure that besides the
    RXD and TXD also the DSR and DTR are connected in your cross cable)

6 updated board.jpg 7 updated board 2.jpg

I would prefer to place only the BC01V connector and not the DB9. The DB9 is a
    bit to thick and touches the board which is put in the next slot. It's just an option.

It's beginning to look like a factory here
    8 boards.jpg

It would be very nice to get an idea if people are interested in the project as it is now.
    This will help me to determine how much work I will put in the rest of the documentation and
    software options. In my opinion this is a great help for servicing and running an Omnibus system.

I've bought my boards at JLCPCB.com and 10 boards cost only $22.50. ($2.25 each)
    10 boards with gold contact fingers are $42.32 ($4.24 each)
    Shipping depends on how fast you would have them. To the Netherlands it
    is $15 for 3 weeks and $25 for about 5 day delivery. Just to give an idea of the price...

You can just drag and drop the Github gerber files into JLCPCB.com and order your own boards.
    No special knowledge needed...
    Last edited by Roland Huisman; November 6th, 2018 at 02:31 PM.
    WTB: RX8E / M8357 and Case for Altair 8800

Could you sell a kit containing the PCB with gold fingers and all of the components?
    I would like to have two, and maybe three.
    You could contact Oscar to see how we makes the kits for the PiPDP-8.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

+1

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
    Could you sell a kit containing the PCB with gold fingers and all of the components?
    I would like to have two, and maybe three. You could contact Oscar to see
    how we makes the kits for the PiPDP-8.
    Hmm, that should be possible but I'm in the Netherlands. Since there are no special
    components on it I could make a Farnell or Mouser list of components and put that on Github too.
    If you have just a few people in the US who want to built it as well, it would be way
    cheaper to order the boards and components yourself and distribute it between each other.
    The minimum order qty at JLCPCB.com is 5 PCBs. So if you know one or two people that like the
    set too, I would go for that way.

But I can ask Oscar how he arranged his PiDP stuff anyway...

If you didn't want to go to the trouble of a complete kit of parts - perhaps you could consider the PCB and a set of pre-programmed parts possibly?

Dave

I think that you can create a BOM for the components on Digikey, and then share the BOM. I could then order the parts from Digikey using your BOM.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

If Digikey is preferred then I will make a list for that. No problem.

There is an Atmega328 cpu on the board which has an Arduino boot loader in it.
    If you have an Arduino board yourself then you can flash that boot loader yourself in a minute...
    I wonder if Digikey can supply these Atmega328 pre-programmed as well. Are there other
    suppliers in the US for this kind of stuff?

I would also like a couple of these. Mike

One of my boards is currently on it's way to Jack. I hope he can do some stress
    tests to it also I think he has more different hardware to test it more intensive.

In the meanwhile I've been talking to Vince. He offered help to distribute kits as well...
    On Github I've added a list of programs which are currently in the bootloader.

If you have or miss some toggle-in programs I would be happy to put them in...