Image Map Image Map

Thread: 4 Pin Header Question

Blog Entries

Default 4 Pin Header Question

This may be a stupid question, but I am not 100% sure

I have a Original Lo-Tek ISA Compact Flash Adapter (Rev1) board I've had for a while and I am finally building the adapter with all the needed parts but one.

IN the wiki - https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-te...tFlash_Adapter - it shows an attached peripheral power cable. Three questions:

1. What kind of 4 pin header do I need for this and I assume I solder it onto the board? There is a place for it on the board (labeled P1)

2. Where would the power cable shown in the photo plug-in on an older PC or Tandy? Its a 4 pin power cable...I dont see anywhere on my Tandy or 8088 PCs to plug that in

3. Do I actually need that power cable for running CF Cards?

Thanks for the help, just wanna make sure I have everything for when I go to install the thing!
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

Blog Entries

You need a power cable if you're going to use a CF-to-IDE adapter, as none of the 40 pins on the standard IDE interface carry power. I added a cable to the Rev. 0 board to do just that. As to what kind of header you need, it doesn't matter, so long as your added power cable connects to it. Note that you only need 5V for the CF adapter.

Here's my Rev. 0 mod that show how the cable works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smack2k View Post
    3. Do I actually need that power cable for running CF Cards?
    The pointed-to web page includes, "5V supply to IDE header key-pin, for cable-less operation of CompactFlash adapters supporting this power option"

The "key pin" is pin 20.
    So, the answer to your question is:

No, if the particular model of CF-to-IDE adapter you have, can accept +5V power on pin 20 of its IDE interface. (Example [here].)
    Yes, if the particular model of CF-to-IDE adapter you have, does not accept +5V power on pin 20 of its IDE interface. (Example [here].)