Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thanks a *&^*&^ lot, Google!

Blog Entries

I of wonder if a modern Silicon Valley could get started, given the conditions there now. There used to be lots of open space (my friend tells me that the MPROSD areas are now getting crowded on weekends) and very interesting and generally friendly people.

It was a diverse mix; my manager at one point was ex-military who cut his teeth on SAGE. Another fellow I worked with was an ex-IBMer (think COMTRAN and COBOL) who "discovered" himself and worked to get enough money to return to his "family" of gypsies in the Santa Cruz mountains--an absolutely brilliant guy and a great petanque player. Another fellow worked half the year on computers and the rest playing big band in Las Vegas. People built airplanes in their apartments--I built a harpsichord. We took an informal straw poll in my department; it turned out that all but one person knew how to play a musical instrument--a couple actually had advanced degrees in music. It was the 1960s and 70s, and some of the culture oozed down from The City.

And Carol Doda was the official spokesmodel for Channel 36 in San Jose. We weren't so strait-laced back then.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); October 27th, 2018 at 03:11 PM.

And Carol Doda was the official spokesmodel for Channel 36 in San Jose. We weren't so strait-laced back then.
    I always credited Carol Doda with the creation of the hippie. When she and her act moved to North Beach, the "beatniks" that hung out around there suddenly felt they needed to move to some quiet place, now that North Beach was becoming a zoo. And many of the beats found new homes in the vicinity of Haight St. and Ashbury St.

In any case, Carol Doda was a pretty significant part of the Bay Area history.

Blog Entries

The zoo won.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
    I always credited Carol Doda with the creation of the hippie. When she and her act moved to North Beach, the "beatniks" that hung out around there suddenly felt they needed to move to some quiet place, now that North Beach was becoming a zoo. And many of the beats found new homes in the vicinity of Haight St. and Ashbury St.

In any case, Carol Doda was a pretty significant part of the Bay Area history.
    My main recollection of the North Beach scene was back around 1961-2 when station aboard a carrier at Alameda, as it was a quick shot through the tube to get over there. I have memories of a real cool bar/restaurant named Mike's almost on the corner of Broadway and Columbus, which had the best minestrone that a person ever dipped their spoon in for about 50. The beatniks used to come in there with loaves of bread and do some reading while we sailors shot some pool. Also, it was the hang-out for Herb Gold (still around, I believe), and he was a often times contributor to Playboy back in the day. Never got to see Carol as that was a little before her time and then I changed home port to San Diego.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Also on the subject of dying Silicon Valley institutions, this past weekend, the local Orchard Supply Hardware store announced they are down to their last 6 days. That used to be my second home on weekends! Going in there I felt like a rag picker pulling down the bed curtains with the deceased still on the bed...

There was an Italian restaurant in North Beach called Cafe Sport. I went in there once with a bunch of convention attendees. We were late, and the waiter was in no mood for 15 people dithering about the menu. The waiter just put his hands on his hips and said, "Alright, I'ma gonna tell you whata you gonna have." The food was great! I went to one of Bill Graham's early concert productions at Kezar Stadium.

Blog Entries

A bunch of us used to go on pilgrimages to one of the restaurants in Chinatown run by a relative of one of my co-workers. Go to the back room and eat what's put before you--no menus, lots of food. Great fun, provided you didn't ask "what is this?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    A bunch of us used to go on pilgrimages to one of the restaurants in Chinatown run by a relative of one of my co-workers. Go to the back room and eat what's put before you--no menus, lots of food. Great fun, provided you didn't ask "what is this?"
    Yeah, and the next day, you can walk through the Chinatown groceries and see what you ate last night (I ate that???) The Golden Dragon was *the* place to go at 2AM for Won Ton Noodles.

Mind you, we have better food in the South Bay now than most of the places in SF Chinatown! In SF though, if you pull up Moscone Center on Google Maps, and select nearby restaurants, the map lights up like a Christmas tree...

I spent one New Year's Eve in the 1960's in Chinatown, it was "busy"