Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Microsoft stops activating Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    The 32-bit version actually runs NTVDM DOS and Windows 3.1 programs just like Windows NT, uses less RAM, has some compatiblity with older 32-bit drivers, isn't quite as locked down apparently, and IMO feels more like real "Windows".)
    64-bit Windows can now run Win16 programs..... even Windows 1.0 applications with this: https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

I've been playing SimTower on it for awhile now and it works well.

On a somewhat amusing note, my work machine lost its Windows 10 Pro activation for a few days due to a bug at Microsoft's end.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Avast support for XP ends on December 1st.
    Not entirely, just no new version, you will still get AV data base updates from what I know.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Microsoft stops activating Windows 10 (for a bit) https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=18/11/09/1956215

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I have not used an XP machine for browsing in ages. My XP machines are mostly for offline gaming. Even if Avast does not have new updates the old ones should still cover your needs (are exploits for XP still being done?).
    It's a friends laptop, so I'm trying to keep it nice and usable, thinking of him. He had the same looking Toshiba Satellite laptop back in 2002. Possibly the same 1105-S101 model I put together for him now. For myself, I have faster machines with newer Windows or Linux to use.

I'm not sure that they have actually pulled the plug as no news source seems to document it. What you do get if googling it is various posts over the past few years about failed activations. More than likely the activation system was temporarily down (although I wouldn't put it past them to make it deliberately go down).

I would suggest that legally Microsoft can't just cut off old software in this way. Windows XP, Office 2003 et al were released very much before the era of SaaS. Product activation was only ever supposed to be there as an anti-piracy measure. If you have a legal copy then you do have a perpetual licence to use it forever, regardless of how unsupported or life expired it might be. It therefore follows that Microsoft should therefore continue to activate it or if it is no longer viable to provide activation servers for the old product then they need to provide a means around activation (which boils down to issuing a patch which removes the need for activation).

If they start arguing that they don't need to activate XP any more because it's unsupported I imagine they could be on very questionable ground legally, would love to see this tested in court.

I'm pretty sure that everything pre-Windows 10 (certainly up to and including Windows 7) uses the same activation system as XP - if you go for the phone activation option you speak to the same bot and are never asked which version of Windows you are activating (except for Windows 10 which does seem to be a different system). Both the codes you have to type into the phone along with the confirmation ID you get back are all in the same format. Withdrawing XP activation at this point would seem to be entirely artificial rather than through the activation system being decomissioned.

I don't remember "support" ever being a issue in determining the viability of software until XP's introduction, but MS seemed to change the psyche of IT then and there.
    I think part of it was XP's introduction (or at least it's widescale acceptance) co-inciding with the move towards always on internet connections where security was more a consideration than before where many computers had no internet access or only had dial up. It is a fair point that security holes became more of an issue than they might have been previously and therefore it became more important to have such holes patched, and in turn how long the vendor was willing to provide patches for determined how long the software ought to be used for (particularly in corporate environments where a security breach could have huge consequences), but I've also always felt that the issue of support and security risks has been played on just a bit too much (mainly by Microsoft) in order to kill off things they don't want any more.

The average user running a legal copy of XP, who isn't visiting dubious websites or opening attachments from vendors of male enlargement products and running with at least some sort of security in place (at least a firewall) is unlikely to come across any problems. I'm not saying there is no risk; the risk is very real, just that the risk, if you're sensible, is slight enough that it is very unlikely to turn into a real problem.

I still run a Sony Vaio P on XP because it doesn't have the horsepower to run anything else well and there is no other computer quite like it so the machine isn't readily replaceable. It is patched up to the final April 2014 level (never bothered with Posready 2009 hacks), it still runs the final version of Chrome that supported XP from 2016, it does still have a firewall but it stopped getting anti virus updates last year. Honestly, I don't lose much sleep over it. Just like I don't worry about the Windows 95 box that I've been playing with recently being connected to my network and therefore to the internet either.

Indeed, as operating systems become older and older I would argue that they represent a lower risk as the hackers and virus writers don't target these operating systems - witness how Windows 2000 was effectively immune to Wannacry because the code wouldn't run on it! I suspect it wouldn't run on Windows 9x either.
    Last edited by cwathen; November 10th, 2018 at 06:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by njroadfan View Post
    64-bit Windows can now run Win16 programs..... even Windows 1.0 applications with this: https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

I've been playing SimTower on it for awhile now and it works well.

On a somewhat amusing note, my work machine lost its Windows 10 Pro activation for a few days due to a bug at Microsoft's end.
    That looks neat....
    .... must give it a whirl
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals