Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft stops activating Windows XP

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Frankly i'm not surprised some updates are breaking on XP POS ready 2009. They weren't designed to be used with regular XP in the first place. I understand some people can love an OS so much they will slam it deep with updates in order to use their PC as long as possible, but sometimes you have to just let go. I love XP but I stopped using it last year cause my Avast antivirus quit supporting it. Next came my Firefox browser. I never needed the POS updates. Nowadays, I'd never put XP online again, and only use it for retro gaming and misc old software.
    odd, what XP systems we still have at work run Avast antivirus. I never had a problem with it on XP.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    odd, what XP systems we still have at work run Avast antivirus. I never had a problem with it on XP.
    Avast support for XP ends on December 1st.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I thought Avast XP support ended in 2017... But looking on Avast's site right now, they actually still do support XP. Now I remember - I thought XP support was dead because in 2017 my Tualatin Celeron laptop could no longer update Avast because the cpu lacks SSE2. It was the only XP system I had on the internet then, so I got the end date confused. I think less of all software that stops supporting old cpu instruction sets. Do they even realize there are some people out there willing to use their software on their old PC, even if it runs very slow? I would. I like to squeeze out as much extra life out of old hardware as I can and keep it running.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Avast support for XP ends on December 1st.
    That's very generous. That's about four and a half years after Micro$oft cut support in April 2014 for XP. Plenty of time for users to make a choice and find a new operating system or computer. 4.5 years is a very fair amount of time. It's almost the full support lifespan of a LTS Linux distro, being 5 years. I thought 3rd party companies typically supported OSs only three years after the EOL date from MS, seeing how Windows 2000 fared. In 2013 I couldn't find an updated Firefox and Avast for Win2000. I just got into computers big time starting in 2011, so I don't know how 3rd party softwares treated earlier OSs like Windows 98 after their MS EOL date.

I think Vista's 3rd party software support is ending soon, given it has always been an unpopular OS that was quickly put to the shade by the time Windows 7 came out. So having only about a year after the EOL date before the 3rd party support is cut doesn't surprise me too much.
    Last edited by computerdude92; November 8th, 2018 at 05:34 PM.

Blog Entries

...except that XP support for the "special" versions ends next year (April, I think). That's stuff like POSReady, which after all, is XP. I don't know when Clamwin support ends.

Blog Entries

I have not used an XP machine for browsing in ages. My XP machines are mostly for offline gaming. Even if Avast does not have new updates the old ones should still cover your needs (are exploits for XP still being done?).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    ...except that XP support for the "special" versions ends next year (April, I think). That's stuff like POSReady, which after all, is XP.
    Windows Embedded Standard 2009, Extended Support will end on January 8th, 2019.
    Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, Extended support will end on April 9th, 2019.

And Microsoft is already curtailing support for Windows 7 even though its Extended Support is supposed to continue until January 2020:

https://www.crn.com.au/news/is-micro...already-512092

Blog Entries

I haven't seen any "security updates" for POSReady 2009 for some months, so MS may have already given up on it, for all intents and purposes.

I fully expect that the next Windows (whatever they call it) will be 64-bit only.

I fully expect that the next Windows (whatever they call it) will be 64-bit only.
    Or more likely, users of 32-bit Windows 10 will turn on their computers one day to magically find out they are no longer "supported".

I have 32-bit Windows 10 on a test computer myself, and it irritates me to no end that Microsoft doesn't publicize clear timetable for this sort of thing. (or if they do, they are hidden in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "beware of the leapord")

The 32-bit version actually runs NTVDM DOS and Windows 3.1 programs just like Windows NT, uses less RAM, has some compatiblity with older 32-bit drivers, isn't quite as locked down apparently, and IMO feels more like real "Windows".)

I haven't seen any "security updates" for POSReady 2009 for some months, so MS may have already given up on it, for all intents and purposes.
    As documented in a thread on MSFN, you may need to install the IE8 security update manually, then the rest of the updates should show up automatically. Here were the updates for October:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/171814-...omment=1155295

And as for Avast, they will continue providing virus definition updates for XP and Vista users, just not program updates:

https://blog.avast.com/avast-discont...ndows-xp-vista

"Older system users who have not updated will continue to be protected by the corresponding older versions of our security products, even receiving virus definition updates, but they will not benefit from the newest programs and features."