Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft stops activating Windows XP

Default Microsoft stops activating Windows XP

I "retro" game on many platforms and I recently discovered after a hard drive replacement that I cannot activate Windows XP! I thought microsoft stated that they would allow it to be activated for "it's useful life" then remove activation completely via a patch.

It looks like Microsoft may be going back on their word. This means that Windows XP will only work as long as your current hardware does because replacing a hard drive, video card etc. will make the activation window come up and that means your XP machine is basically bricked! This really ticks me off because I have a ton of games etc. on my XP machine that I can no longer play. What can be done? Please get the word out so maybe we can convince Microsoft to correct this.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-a089238b6d9e

Blog Entries

There was at least one other recent thread about that here.

The solution in that thread was simply to get a copy that doesn't require online activation.

Blog Entries

Or use one of the activation killer apps. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    The solution in that thread was simply to get a copy that doesn't require online activation.
    This. They're not hard to come by if you *cough* know where to look *cough*.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I recently did two "from scratch" installs of Windows XP Home and had no issues with activation.

Blog Entries

The OEM XP Home install CDs didn't need activation I think.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    then remove activation completely via a patch.
    Anyone who believed such about XP or similar about current/future products is a fool.

Microsoft has absolutely no reason to be generous about this, and plenty of reasons to magically prevent the "old" from working at all.

When/where exactly did they even make this alleged promise? Or was it just the echoes of those that wanted to believe it?

If they ever did say something like that, it was only to placate the masses. "Oh don't sue us over this new ball and chain we put in, we'll be fair about it when the time comes! We give you our Word(tm)! Which comes bundled with our web browser"

Anyway, I have been following several threads about this topic on different sites, and the results seem mixed.

Some say XP activates fine via telephone, some say it rejects XP as a product.

Some say they can activate over the internet while others say it fails.

At the very least, activating via Internet is known to require Service Pack 3, and Internet Explorer 8 before it will work. It may require additional updates. It also depends on Microsoft honoring any specific product key, which has always been hit and miss depending on if the key was ever "misused".

Even if it does work for any given day, the clock is ticking down. It would be nice to get some rock hard confirmation.

Blog Entries

We had the same chat about Windows server 2003 a while back didn't we?

The way MS has been jumping through hoops to make people ditch all the older OS (even giving millions of Windows 7 pirates legit Windows 10) so they can concentrate on supporting only Windows 10 tells me it would be a cold day in hell for them to make XP usable again by taking out the activation. Then again Adobe gave out modified Creative Suite 2 CD images with serials so no activation was needed so hell might freeze over someday.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    I thought microsoft stated that they would allow it to be activated for "it's useful life" then remove activation completely via a patch.
    Microsoft never claimed this, and none of the period reviews and accounts of XP activation I've found ever mentioned it.

I'd be curious how this misinformation came about, though, since I never heard it until the last few years, and I never heard it outside of communities similar to this one.

On the contrary, it seemed obvious in 2001 that Microsoft would refuse activation of XP once it passed out of support, and activation itself would serve as a strong-armed method of eliminating unsupported software from circulation. One only has to look at what else Microsoft was doing at the time to get this sense. XP's introduction coincided with Win95's revocation of support, and Redmond pulled out the stops to do virtually everything in its power to curtail the viability and desirability of that older operating system: Withholding it from OEMs, withholding IE 6 and WMP 7.1, releasing compilers and APIs rigged to break compatibility, promoting hardware standards incompatible with the OS, laying on intense pressure on other software vendors to drop Win95 from their system requirements lists, and so on.

I don't remember "support" ever being a issue in determining the viability of software until XP's introduction, but MS seemed to change the psyche of IT then and there.

Blog Entries

Can Windows XP still be activated after April 8, 2014?
    Windows XP can still be installed and activated after end of support. Computers running Windows XP will still work but they won’t receive any Microsoft Updates or be able to leverage technical support. Activations will still be required for retail installations of Windows XP after this date as well.
    taken from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...-of-xp-support I don't see anything about MS removing activation requirements. I suspect someone may have confused Steam promises with MS promises. I doubt MS intended this to be a perpetual guarantee; 4.5 years of new installs after end of support seems like a fairly long term.

Lack of support was an issue preventing sales of some software. IBM had a difficult time moving copies of OS/2 Warp 4 after announcing the end of OS/2 development in spite of the announcement providing a 5 year coverage. Describe fairly cratered after its support preventing policies were announced.